Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wet Lines

Tica Surf Rod Problem

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Brand New Tica Surf Rod:

Was packing up after an uneventful fishing day skunk.gif and laid the rod on the top of the truck to take the waders off. Dumb move considering how windey it was, mad.gif needless to say it blew off the roof and hit the concrete and shattered the plastic insert on the bottom guide. Where can I get the correct insert for that rod guide? cwm40.gif

The broken insert ring - they're ceramic, BTW - is not replaceable; you'll need to have the complete guide replaced but that's a relatively simple and inexpensive operation for most any shop which builds or repairs rods.

In a recent issue of Florida Sportsman, it showed how to take an insert out of another guide and put it in place of the broken ceramic insert. The article said it was a ten minute job. Just reporting what I read.

You can try to replace just the ceramic insert, but more than likely it will be a temperary fix, as most of the time the metal is deformed a little and won't hold the ring for as good as a new one. alot of people only charge like 10 dollars per guide to replace. and the guide it's self is about a dollar and a half. It might be a good time to learn how to do it yourself. it is pretty easy. Tica guides are real bad about breaking, When 1 breaks I end up replacing all the guides, because next thing you will notice is small cracks in other guides.