Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Crow

Spiral cracking in a Lami 1201M

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Has anyone experienced a series of spiral cracks that show through the wraps which follow apprx 1" spacing? Not the cracks from guide feet but a split right thru the epoxy.I was given this rod to rewrap and before I waste my time wrapping only to have a worn out blank explode I'd thought I check around. Its a very well used chunking rod has caught tons of fish. I think I see the cracks in the finish but they show the most thru the wraps including the diamond. Any input would be appreciated, don't want my buddy to replace a perfectly good rod either.

I have seen a lami where the rod was peeling like tape spiraling down the pole. There was only about a 1/2 to 1" section, but it definately was peeling away. The person sent it back and Lami sent them a new pole.

If it's a very old rod finished with on of the older laquer or even very old epoxy types, it may show cracks encircling the wraps every little bit. Newer finishes don't have that problem. The only place they're prone to crack or stretch will at the edge of the guide foot end where you have to disimilair materials trying to do two different things when the rod is flexed.

I've seen this spiral cracking once before, the rod had some guide foot cracking, but what really bothered me was the cracking in the butt wrap done with a simple Gudebrod braided diamond and flexcoat. Each crack was perpendiular to the cross of the diamond, on a GSB132 whatever. The guy showed me how he casts, and I've never seen so much violence inflicted on a rod, without the blank breaking!

I still don't know the "whys" of it, other than how I filed it in my head.....eventually, somethings got to give.