Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HSelesa

Hello Al

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

Finally made it to this board. Got a question here regarding epoxy. I have recently been transferred to a new location, a small island of about 60,000 inhabitants. Tis place is hot and very humid. My question is, has humidity got anything to do with the rate at which an epoxy cure? I am using a three year old DuraGloss LS (not Supreme)and on my last rod the epoxy seems to harden pretty fast. I had to mix two batches of 1cc(each resin/hardener)to coat a ten guide rod. The first batch hardened(non-flowing) before I could coat the remaining three guides. It has never happened before I moved to this new location. Any ideas what is causing the epoxy to cure at this rate?

Thanks

Henry

Welcome Henry,

Heat and humidity will effect the curing of epoxy finish. Since epoxy cures by a chemical reation that gives off heat, excess heat will accelerate the set up of the mixed epoxy. Humidity will cause the finish to cure over a longer time period.

Here are some tips to help give you more working time when applying the epoxy:

Get yourself a 10x10 piece of ceramic tile. Cover the tile with aluminum foil and place it is the refrigerator for several hours. This will chill down the tile.

Place the bottles of resin and hardener in a pan of hot water for about five minutes. This will slightly thin out the epoxy and result is fewer bubbles when mixed.

Measure out each part of the finish and slowly mix them together for about two minutes. Then pour the mixed finish onto the ceramic tile and spread out the finish.

Apply the finish to the guide wraps. Follow the instructions in Part 4 of the rod building articles on this site and you should get a good looking finish.

If you continue to have finishing problems you might want to consider building a drying box. That is subject that I can address at another time.

Happy New Year,

Al