Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Plug

reel seat distance

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

OK, I have a 1321 L Lami that I'm gonna start building here in the next week or three. I have built quite a few boat rods but surf rods are quite new to me. I want to build it as a spinner. To avoid a lot of back and forth I'd like y'alls opinions on positioning of the reel seat and first guide. I'll be building it with six guides. Fuji BSVLGs starting with a 40 and working my way down. Using it primarily for fishing artificials.

I haven't decided on the finished length yet.

Might go with the full 11' or maybe 10'6" or even 10'. All cuts will be from the butt. I like a lighter tip with braids. So can I have your suggestions for a 10', a 10'6" and an 11'. Thanks.

Plug

Plug, I've always preferred butt lengths a bit on the short side when it comes to spinners. The last 11 footer I built for myself has the forward end of the uplocking reelseat at 24" from the butt. It's such a matter of casting style and personal preference, you might do well to decide on that finished length, make the cuts (if any) and - after protecting the critical foot or so of the blank with some scrap cork tape - tape on your reel of choice for the rod and step outside for a good number of dry casts, shifting the reel until it feels right for you.

Interestingly, and very contrary to most rules of thumb, back when the Tidewater Anglers Club from the Virginia Beach area dominated east coast distance casting in the era before the pendulum casters took over, several of the team who cast in the spinning division set up with exceptionally short butts. These were no small guys, but they would uncork some jaw-droppin' casts with just a toss-back type of style, with the largest of the old Mitchell or Crack reels taped on at as short as 17" from the butt to the reel's stem. If memory serves, eleven feet was the max allowable rod length for the spinning class back in those "practical fishing tackle" events, as they were once called.

Plug, in my humble opinion I agree with Bill, tape the reel on that you will use and find what you like best.When I position the guides I remove the spool from the reel and tie a piece of fishing line on the main shaft and run it through the tip of the rod. I center it in the tip with a dowel that is drilled out for the line to run through. Then I position the guides. I think this gives a true run of the line as oposed to having it on the spool. Think about it, diferent reels will be diferent heights and I'll bet the angle varies a bit too. Just my humble opinion, I hope I am not coming off as a smart__. And thanks for the lesson in teaser riggin.