Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pastormarty

Having trouble with the diamond butt wrap!

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I'm finishing up the rod and trying to do a diamond wrap. I'm having trouble with the threads not staying tight up against each other. Wraping chevron style seems to go easier (I've already cut it off and started over once), but doing alternating sides to make the diamonds is a kicker. Am I using too much threat tension? Anything else I might be doing wrong? I can't seem to get them up tight together, even with a burnishing tool. If there is a way to salvage what I have, let me know. If not, I'll cut it off and start over; but how do I avoid the same mistake again?

If you have pictures, post them. It could be too much tension, not enough tension, or most proabably how you are packing the threads with the burnishing tool.

If you are able to post a picture, post a top view of an individual diamond you are having trouble with, as well as teh side view.

Diamonds are tough and it usually takes way more than a couple of attempts to develop the feel and knack for getting a nice ones. Keeping your centers fairly close is one trick for starters; wrapping at a shallower angle makes for easier tight patterns, and you need to pack / snug each pair (upper and lower) of wraps before laying on another one or you'll lock in the gaps, making it all but impossible to close up later.

Lots and lots of practise is really the only answer, and you've just got to put in the time until it comes more naturally. There's no "instant gratification" when it comes to this one. Nothin' at all wrong with good looking chevrons in the meanwhile; beats the heck outta ugly diamonds.

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 02-16-2003).]

Can't post pics - no digital camera and an older computer. Didn't use an underwrap - did on some of the rods I did 25 years ago, but thought this would look better straight on the blank. I suspect, from what ya'll have written, that it is a combination of slightly elongated diamonds, too much tension and not packing each set of threads before doing the next. Any other thoughts? I don't mind a do-over when I have to.