Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stroth

CanalRod

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Text Al:

Great site with good info. I'll try to keep this as short as possible. I want to build a custom rod that will be able to do the following:

1. Throw heavy jigs upwards of five to six ounces.

2. Throw heavy poppers and swimmers 3oz. and higher.

I'll be fishing some surf, but mostly the canal. I want to use a conventional reel, an abu 7000 and braided line. I'm 6'3 240 lbs. with a sleeve legnth of 36 inches. I know of a couple of local shops that are offering rod building clasees and I plan to take one. My questions are:

1. Can I make such a rod? Would I be asking it to do too many things?

2. What blanks do you reccommend???? I really like the custom lamiglass models i have seen, they are common at the canal.

The sm 136 3m looks like it would feel right, but then the s-glass 136 3 m looks better????

Please give me your thoughts......they are much appreciated.

Stroth

Here's some blanks that will do the job for you.

First and best choice is the Lami XRA 126 1MH, in graphite.

Other graphites that will work are the Lami GSB 132 1M, GSB 122 1MH and the All Star GSW 1209.

In glass---both the SB 136 3M and SSB 136 3M's are good choices, with the edge going to the S-glass, but I would cut back the tip to a size 14.

Other glass blanks---Lami SB 121 3M (or BSB 121 3M if you like a sharp looking black blank) and the Harrington/Harnell 542.

It looks like Ditch covered all the good blanks for this application. I would simplify it though since I am planning to write another rod building article for January on the "Canal Rod".

If you are on a budget then the Lami BSB1213M eglass is hard to beat. It's been the blank of choice for many years by Canal regulars.

If you have the bucks my choice is the

Lami XRA1261MH. It's the sweetest conventional I ever cast.

You can make the rod yourself or have it made by a number of excellent Cape Cod builders. I can help you spec out the rod if you want to build it yourself.

Al

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 12-22-2001).]

Another blank that might serve your purposes would be the Breakaway 1418. It's a great long distance plugging rod. In the right hands it will cast 5 to 6 oz 130 yards-plus. It also throws lighter weights down to 3 oz fairly well.

That being said, at 11'9", it may be too long for the ditch. If not, I recommend it highly.

Best of luck, Tom

Guys:

Thanks for the excellent prompt replies. It looks like there are some other fishermen sick of shopping.

Like most things in my fishing world what seems not so complicated at first, quickly grows into a bird's nest bigger than a heron's nest.

I thought I had decided to go with fiberglass, but when I hear everyone speaking so highly of the graphite rods I am torn. Can the graphite hold up?????

Al, I'll be looking for the article. I think for my first rod I am going to take a class. There is one scheduled to happen at the Sportsman's Den, not that far from my house and then another is happening at the Rod Builder's Workshop in Kingston...further for me. Has anyone gotten any feedback from either class???

A final note: I used to post quite often on another fishing board. Let's just say this board has been quite refreshing. Knowledgable guys helping each other out, not getting caught up in who's smarter or more experienced.

Keep up the good work and have a great holiday!!!!!

For fishing the canal with jigs , etc , I would concentrate on the 2 OZ to 5 OZ range. You'll sometimes want to throw 2 OZ. I don't know anyone who uses heavier than 5 OZ at the Ditch but I suppose some do.

For 2 to 5 , some good choices not already listed are the XRA 1205 at 10 feet , Allstar 1266/2 at 10.5 feet and the XRA 1322 would make another good Canal choice at 11 feet long.

I've been using 9 footers (Sabre 1089 and a Loomis 108-30) there but will be trying longer rods this coming year. I like the shorter rod for backbouncing (and its easy to handle around bushes and when landing the fish) but want to see what the extra length will do for me if I drift more. I'll be trying the XRA 1205 first. Probably with a BG7000CL or Calcutta 700.

I use a BG7000CL and 50 lb Cortland Spectron now.

I have both the XRA 1322 and the 126 MH. While I've used the 1322 for jigging when it was the only one I took along, it isn't ideal for jigs in the 4-5 oz range. The 126 is a better jig rod, IMO. It also has more ability to "horse" a fish when you need to.

The 1322 is an excellent plugging rod for 2 to 5 oz. It has plenty of power as long as you remember to let the bend of the rod---its power curve---fight the fish and avoid "hi-sticking" by leaning back into it.

The 10' XRA 1205 combines some of the better qualities of the 1322 and 126 MH. It's not as much of a "club" as the 126, and it has a little stiffer overall action than the 1322. Bigger tip, much better for lifting the jig off the bottom when you're working it.

Salt and Ditch,

Thanks for the great blank info. I will print this out and file it away in the surf blank section of my rodbuilding binder.

Have the great holiday and New Year.

Al

I was on a low budget, and built a SB 136 3M (as a spinner). I love it, casts great, I think I cut 6 inches from the but, and 4 from the tip (on the recomendation from Ditch Jigger, thanks Ditchsmile.gif). And based my guide placement on what Al told me. I have another blank that I want to build conventional, just have not had the time to do it.

Once again guys thanks for all of the great info.

I am 90% sure that i am going with the xra 1205. Based on the information I've heard that seems like the best one to go with since I want to throw jigs and plugs with it.

I also think the length is right. I have not been sold on longer rods, especially the canal. Now to call the blank dealers and get it shipped. Next topic: Guides and guide spacing.

Thanks

Matt

Matt,

If you are going with the 1205 set up for conventional then I would recommend the Fuji SIC HNSG or Hardaloy BHNLG guides in the following sizes:

20, 16, 16, 12, 12, 12, 10, 10, 10 plus an SIC tip.

The following is the approximate guide spacing:

#20 stripper guide 28-inches from the center of the reelseat.

1st #10 guide 4.5 inches from the tip top.

Space the remaining guides in 1/2-3/4 inch increasing intervals moving from tip to butt.e.g. 5.0,5.5,6.0, 6.75, 7.5, etc.

Tape the guides in palce and do a stress distribution test and test cast. Then finetune the guide spacing.

Al

i hate to jump in here but...i am about the same size ect ..and am looking for a rod for the canal also..although i have never fished it...am looking forward to it this year...but i think i am looking more for a rod for big jigs and wood...from jettys and the beach...same thing or? 10' is what i wanted but domnt have to have...i am on a budget also...i dont have the slightest idea how much blanks are...ditch? how much is that 126

------------------

may the fish be with you!

Lami lists its retail at about $260, but Sea Isle on Long Island has it listed for $230. You could e-mail Tim and see what he can get it for---but, since shipping on anything 10' and over has gone thru the roof, you'd probably have to arrange to pick it up to make it a real bargain. I don't think Lami sets minimums on the blanks like it does on the factory rods.

I don't know much about Pa---are you close to Clemens?

Gentelmen

Again Thanks for all the info. I guess before I move forward I have to buy the blank. Before I get cauliflower ear from calling so many places does anyone know of a blank dealer that isn't tremendously far away. I live in Watertown, just outside Boston.

Their are a number of custom shops that will sell you the blank. Here is a short list that immediately comes to mind:

Red Top, Buzzards Bay

Canal Bait and Tackle, Cape Cod

Rodbuilders Workshop, Kingston,MA

Roy's Bait and Tackle, Bourne

Fishin Finatics, Everett, MA