Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
topnbottomrig

New Tip Top Eyes

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

I have two Heavy Shimano Spinning Rods I use for Party Boat Seabass fishing. I like these Rods alot and have had them nearly 10 years. Recently I have noticed that the line is fraying right at the spot where it lays in the top eye while fishing. This is from the friction of setting the hook and probably it is time to replace the Tip Eyes. My question is, is this simple enough to do myself or should I take them somewhere to have it done? If I can do it myself where would be a good source of the new tips. I want really good ones and would probably like to get them by mail order. I'm in Pa. so local salt water tackle shops are not local to me. I really don't want to leave the Rods somewhere and then have to make another trip to pick them up.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

tnbr

You can do it yourself. go to a Tackle shop that has rod building supplies and get the correct tip.

If they're ceramic, the Fuji BULT is a real good boat tip. Buy the tip and a stick of Tip Top Adhesive. If you don't have an alcohol lamp, hold a lighter under the tip until the glue softens enough to pull it off with pliers. scrape off any old glue from the tip of the rod. Melt the tip of the glue stick until it is almost dripping and twist it on the edge of the tip so the glue runs down inside it. Twist the tip onto the tip of the rod and make sure it lines up with the guides. If it sets up a little crooked, just heat it up again and adjust it. After it dries, pick off any extra gluesnot (technical term ) from the rod. And PRESTO!

WBGelbke,

Thanks for the great advice. I could not get the tips you recomended but I got fugi hardoloy? (or something like that) and did it just like you said except I used a candle in place of the lighter. They came out great.

Thanks,

tnbr