Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Puppy Mullet

How to cut blanks?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hacksaw or Dremel tool w/ fine grinding wheel. Make sure you tape around the blank in the area you are gonna cut. The Dremel tool is by far neater than the hacksaw. Remember to cut off less than you think you want off, you could always cut again, but you can't put that extra inch back on!!!!

I have only cut graphite golf shafts so far, but they are not that much different than fishing blanks . When cutting the graphite golf shafts I wrap the shaft with about 5 wraps of masking tape and then use a hacksaw. The hacksaw has a carbide impregnated blade on it rather than a regular hacksaw blade. I use a smooth cutting stroke and don't use a lot of downward force - just let the blade do the work. I'll try the dremel on an old golf shaft to see how that works.

Not a thread hijack, but I'd be interested to hear if people cut fiberglass shafts the same way.

Pete

I use a dremel tool with a cut-off wheel on it. Wrap the shaft with masking tape up to where the cut will be made to make a straight line and avoid splintering. With the dremel at high rpm I rotate the blank as I cut. Fiberglass or graphite it does not seem to matter as I have had success with both. Also, I wear a dust mask when making the cuts.

I use a small miter box/saw combo made by xacto. Tape the blank first, hold it up against the inside of the miter box and saw away. Nice straight cut every time. Most craft stores carry the miter box and saw as a set for around 15 dollars. The saw has a really fine toothed blade that is great on graphite.