Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
I.C. Sines

gsb1081L

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

McCoy I have the same blank and have been doing research on the same subject.Do a search for GSB1081L or best bomber rod and you will see quite a few posts.As for the single vs double foot arguement the consenses is that the singles are lighter and don't restrict the blank as much.This makes the blank recover faster.Some guys use a combination of both doubles and singles.The decisions have a lot to do with what kind of fishing you intend to do. Rocks sand beaches etc.If you fish around rocks you may want the more durable double foots.What kind of reel and line you will be using?I'm told that with braid and a small diameter reel you can use smaller guides.Back when Al Goldberg ran the board He recomended using a size 40 stripper guide then single foot 30,25,20,16,12 and a pst 10 tip.Absorb all this info and then you will be totally confused like I am right now! Too many decisions and we haven't even covered types of guides

fabe - thanks for the reply and the idea for the search .

"As for the single vs double foot arguement the consenses is that the singles are lighter and don't restrict the blank as much.This makes the blank recover faster" . i'm not exactly sure what that means and what advantage it brings me .

Last Spring, I built a GSB1081L using double foot BSVLG's in 40, 30, 20, 16 12 + 12 tip. I don't notice any "splinting" effect of the rod from the double foots. The blank has enough backbone to handle them. The rod casts bombers just fine. The sweetspot seems to be 1 1/2 oz.

I thought about using a double foot stripper and single foots the rest of the way as many people have suggested. But, I tend to just throw my rods in my truck and thought the single foots might get bent too easily. In any case, the double foot guides work with no ill effects.

Not to add any more confusion to your decision but mine's built all double foot Fuji's,40-30-20-16-w/16 tip. that blank is not so fast or fragile that double foot guides hinder it at all.

i hear yuh surfrat ,

but everything i've looked at regarding this blank is that it probably does'nt matter which guides you put on it . except that the single foot guides are a little more fragile .

Gary,

Through Merrick Tackle. The only problem is I had to go to Aluminum Oxide tip to get it in that size. Actually experimenting to see how well it holds up with braid. So far so good...

"As for the single vs double foot arguement the consenses is that the singles are lighter and don't restrict the blank as much.This makes the blank recover faster" . i'm not exactly sure what that means and what advantage it brings me .

The idea is that double-foot guides result in a section of the blank being resistant to flex that is >2 times the length of the section created by single footed guides. The result is a rod that bends in sections rather than uniformly. Although it is debatable whether or not this adversely affects performance, or to what extent, I feel that out near the tip, where I like to put a lot of guides closely spaced, I don't want 15-20% of the blank not flexing. This becomes even moe of an issue for me if its a rod for bombers or soft-plastics, when I really want as much sensitivity in the tip as possible.

Just my take on it.