Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishweewee

Lamiglass vs. G. Loomis...A Marketing Perspective

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I learned something interesting the other day. I hope this isn't out of place in this forum.

From a pure marketing perspective, it appears that G. Loomis has a marketing edge over Lamiglas...when it comes to the "high-end" customer segment.

Why?

G. Loomis' fly fishing products. An affluent customer who is (rightfully) happy with his GLX fly rod won't think twice about picking up a G. Loomis surf stick. That's probably the easiest cross-sell that a salesman at a tackle shop can make to an uninformed high-end consumer.

I like GL's fly rods and own a few myself.

But I think that for the most part Lami makes a better East Coast surf stick product (slap me 'side the head if I'm wrong...but a lot of people seem to agree with me on this). I like some of Lami's inshore boat sticks too.

Lami has the better surf product, G. Loomis has the marketing edge.

Interesting market phenomenon, no?

I'd love your feedback.

-FWW

------------------

fww.gif

The Pause That Refreshes

FWW,

I think you are right on the mark with your observations. However, tell me how many affluent, high end surfcasters are there?

Surfcasting takes a level of dedication that few yuppies will pursue. Those that really get into it probably do a little research on the subject as to the proper equipment. That being said, they usually end up with a VS reel and a custom Lami rod. That has been my experience.

Al,

I don't know how many affluent surfcasters are out there.

I suppose if you're "affluent" you probably are well off enough to own a boat and maybe inclined to fly fish.

One thing is clear...once you get to a certain experience or skill level in one facet of angling, you may be more susceptible to try another style of fishing (i.e., a flyrodder who wants to surf fish b/c he saw a bunch of guys catching LARGE doing it).

I dunno, have to think about it.

-FWW

[This message has been edited by fishweewee (edited 05-22-2002).]

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Lami nut, but after looking at the Loomis and Lamiglas websites it seems clear that Loomis spends the big $$ on their advertising/marketing campaign.

Seems like Lamiglas has word of mouth advertising working for them big time.

I think surf fishing is such a specialized niche that word of mouth advertising can be enough? I'm no expert, but this is an interesting topic.

My observations!

Both Lamiglas and G Loomis are in Woodland, Washington, a short distance apart. G Loomis on the West side of I-5 and Lamiglas to the South and East. Angler's Workshop (a rod building components outlet for Lamiglas)is located next door to Lamiglas. I have been to both locations and I own rods from each manufacturer. IMO that both have excellent products and service!

Lamiglas has been there longer than Loomis. The collective product line of the two are very diverse. Between the two they can easily cover a large segment of the high and low end users.

There is petty bickering in the local area between the two factions, but for the good of the industry this is what the competitive spirit is all about. I will continue to greatly appreciate the high quality of rods manufactured by both of these companies.

That's my 2 and a half cents worth!

Bill (Westcoaster) wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Bill F (edited 05-22-2002).]

From being in the tackle business for along time here are my thoughts:

G. Loomis has always been considered to be the more high tech and cutting edge as far as materials and rods go. I think this is due to Gary Loomis and his aerospace material background.

Are they more cutting edge or have lead on Lamiglass, Sage or St croix? Probably not.

The fisherman I dealt with would spend the $300.00 on a Loomis spin or cast rod but never look at the high end St Croix or Lami rods. Both had rods just as good.

Image is everything.

I own rods/blanks made by Lami, Loomis, St Croix, Rainshadow and old Fewick (u.s. made)

Each has its own niche or place. Is one mfg "better"? IMO of these 4 they are all great rod/blank manafacturers.

woostaboy

Bill is right on in his observations. Both companies make excellent products. I have been involved in this debate as long as I have been building rods.

Loomis has always been on the cutting edge of graphite technology and performance. Lamiglas, while not as high tech as Loomis, has always put out a great product. I have built many custom rods from both manufacturers and each has their place in my arsenal of rods. I have blanks from both companies that are from old technology, more than 12 years old, and they are still my favorite combining both performance and durability into a winning design.

Al

Never thought to buy a Loomis,too many $ for a glorified Lamiglas,since G.Loomis left Lamiglas to start his own company.

Having used many Lamiglas and J Kennedy Fisher,the old Fenwick, and more recently St.Croix,Rainshadow,AllStar/Breakaway,Seeker,and Graphite USA,Shakari,I can say that While JKF was always my favorite Lamiglas was always choice 1A.I still believe that right now the 2 best buys for the $ are Lamiglas and Rainshadow.

But As much time as I have had with all the different blanks I'd also say that you could blindfold me and let me hold

'em,wave 'em around,cast 'em and I probably would get about 10% right on guessing who made what blank.

Kinda like the guy who orders Crown Royal: if you put VVO in his glass he'dprobably never know it.That happens all the time,Iknow,cause I used to tend bar a lot and the waitresses and I'd bet on who could tell when they didn't get what they ordered.

Just my $.02 worth.Tight lines to all, Neil

Weewee,

You have issuesbiggrin.gif

Before I got into surf spinning and conventional rods, I fished the surf with flyrods. My rods of choice were/are GLX's. GLX is still, as far as I know, the graphite with the highest strength to weight ratio. (although I understand some companies like Graphite USA will give them a run for the money). However, Loomis surf rods are GL2 material which is nothing special(IM6, I think) as far as raw materials go. Also, with the buyout from Shimano and the departure of Gary Loomis, things have changed, for the worse, at G. Loomis. . Loomis is a small player in the surf business and the factory built Loomis rods that I've seen were poorly constructed and a horrible value. You pay dearly for those magazine back covers that Loomis takes out in most fishing mags. Loomis' blank pricing policy has also been restrictive, and now they have cut the blank offerings to the most popular 150 models and no longer sell GLX blanks. I'm done with Loomis.

When it came time to start buying surf blanks, I considered Loomis, but was unimpressed with the offerings and was rightfully steered toward Lamiglas. Lamiglas surf rods probably still outnumber all others combined. The Lami line is by far the most diverse line for the surf caster and at fair prices.

Phil, what "issues?" Dont piss CatchNKill off. tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

Agree with you that unfortunately, Loomis has deteriorated somewhat after the sale of the company. Perhaps an opportunity for Lamiglas to seize?

I was disappointed that GL discontinued the offshore "hybrid" big game sticks...they were great (glad I got mine) and I'm not sure the Pelagic series are as good.

-FWW

Loomis' interest in being any sort of real player when it comes to surf hardcores can be pretty easily summed up by counting the number of one piece surf rods / blanks they've ever brought to market.

I don't want to sound like a cheerleader for the company, but I would strongly advise than anyone interested in some new blanks look at the Rainshadows. Even without consideration of their prices(1/2-1/4 of competitors), I would be put some of their models aginst similar models of most brands. The surf rod line has some shortcomings(largest 1 piece is 10', for example), but they a very complete line of blanks of all types, and are constanly adding more.

There's also some hidden gems in their line up. If you ever notice any familiar model numbers in their catalog, THEY ARE WHAT YOU THINK THEY ARE. wink.gif

I've got a nine foot conventional jetty stick that I just built from a Rainshadow SW1089 Composite blank. Looks like a sweet setup and the price of the blank could not be beat.

I will be using it next weekend and will report back on its performance.

Tom

Well weewee,

I have to say that the Loomis advertising budget is quite large in comparison to that of Lamiglas. And, the Loomis manufacturing site is very impressive. That said, I may still lean a little towards Lamiglas.

Their IM7 is a very nice blank and when combined with a titanium shaft, you have a very sensitive and expensive rod (over 4 bills!).

On the Loomis side, I have a few, two of which are surf rods (SUR1266C & SUR1448C). I guess most of my Loomis purchases took place while Gary was still there (I was not aware that he left, sad to hear that). The only Loomis casualty was a bass rod which was ran over after it had lifted out of the boat and onto the roadway. They replaced that rod with a brand new one for $35. Hard to beat that, it was a $200 rod!

I hope both companies continue to compete and produce the quality and service that fishermen have become accustom too, or they will vanish!

Wee Wee Will See,

Bill smile.gif

Phil,

You coming up to the canal next month to throw sluggos with those Rainshadows???

The pink "dancing queen" is done and will try to shake her down this weekend.

WB