Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Bald Head

Steelehad Blanks for Saltwater Use?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Has anyone here built a rod forsaltwater using a blank built for steelhead? There are a few 10-foot blanks in the 1/2-2 ounce category that I'm thinking about trying, but would like your feedback first.

Thanks

--Doug

Have done a # of them for self,sons,friends and they all love 'em.Used Lami GSH 901MT and GSH 961MT.Extended them with old blank sections.Makes for an awfully fast action for casting but nothing you can't adapt to.I used them cause i got 'em cheap,blems, from Mudhole about 18 months ago.None remaining and lamiglas now just destroys their blems.

Lamiglas,Rainshadow, All Star all make a surf blank for light lures with plenty of power.The Steelhead blanks will work though.Neil

I'm working on a nine footer right now that seems like it will be a killer light plugging rod.

The ratings on some of the steelhead rods are killer for the little mambos and bombers.

Hello,

I've built surf rods from these two blanks.

Lamiglass - GSH1262MH

AllStar - BESA1086-2

If you don't mind a moderate action blank, they're great. Ignore the lure weight on the AllStar blank. There is no way I would attempt 6 oz. Both the blanks can throw up to 2oz. comfortably. They are also good for lighter weights down to 1/2oz. Most surf rods can't throw a 1/2 oz. for @#$!, even if they are rated that low. They're also excellent with Bombers.

http://www.lamiglas.com/home1.htm

http://www.allstarrods.com/eliteblanks.htm

ps: The Lami is a great Albi rod, it casts a mile with 10lb test IronSilk on a Daiwa TD-S3500CU.

Greetings,

I had a surf rod built for me back in "91" out of the GSH 126 MH blank. I have to say that I love it, after many years and many different rods it is still my preferred rod for school bass and bluefish on calm days. Now I fish it with fireline on the reel and it performs even better. It is great for small plugs, bombers and throws 1 1/2 oz metals and poppers a good distance. It is a great rod and has handled bass to 25lb and blues to 17lb. I currently use a daiwa 2600SS on it and carryiing it around is effortless.

Best regards,

Mark