Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

S glass vs. latest composites

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Al, a question for you provoked by a rod thread in the LI forum. For surfcasting use, do S glass rods have any advantage over current composites? I suspect not but I'd like to know.

Brian...i would tend to stay away from S glass, for surfcasting...thin walled blanks...now if you were using a S glass rod for jigging bait tails, bucktails, and that type of lures, i would definitly check them out. The Sheepshead Bay regulars, used the old Mikes special in S glass, and other S glass models for years...they were incredible blanks, as far as sensitivity was concerned. The composites right now are just so much better in rod building construction, and power to weight ratio. They are the next generation in blank technology.

EC NEWELL MAN>

EC, I'm not planning to buy anything new. Graphite per seis fine by me, I don't rock hop enough to matter. I do have one rod rebuilt last year (I did it originally; didn't want to see Al cry, so I had it redone at Rocky Point Fishing Stop) on an S glass 1F blank - I forget the number, but it's 11 1/2' long. Very versatile blank, probably 15 years old. In terms of the range of weights it can handle it's probably the most versatile of the surf rods I own, though I wouldn't care to fish it too long anymore. ... there's a thread elsewhere speculating on S glass, and I thought I'd ask The Master.