Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sandcrab

Underwrap bleeding

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I have a problem. I wrapped one layer of yellow A NCP on my new blank and finished it with two thin coats of color preserver. At this time I did not have any bleed through from the color preserver onto the wrap. I finished off with one thin coat of rod finish and let dry. After three days of drying, the rod finish bled through to the wrapping which shows up blotchy at this time.

Any way to save the wrap or do I have to rewrap? Only two of nine wraps have this problem - the other seven are OK. It only happened to the two largest wraps - the smaller wraps are OK.

I used the same technique for my last rod but it did not have any underwraps and the wrap was black which may have hid this problem if it happened.

Any have any problems like this? Both the color preserver and rod finish were by the same manufacturer. I allowed one day drying time between each coat of color preserver and rod finish.

Thanks,

Sandcrab

When you under wrap, put on a coat of laquer #10 clear(color preserver) first. Before you over wrap makes it easier to do the over wrap too. Put it on even. Shouldn't bleed.

I always use it ,it can't hurt. I don't now how many rods you have build, but for a beginner it makes it easier. You can go up over the guides easier and the thread will go on easier.

Color preserver not evenly applied...why CP anyway with NCP thread? I'd cut em off and redo, but if you only applied one thin coat of finish you could just wrap over em and refinish, no CP.

Certain colors , and yellow is the worst , just bleed through too easily. You need about 3 coats of color preserver. Other very bad ones are orange , minty green. Red is sometimes also a problem but usually two coats of cp will do red.

i don't care what kind of thread you use (NCP or regular) , for the very light colors , you get bleed through easily so CP is needed.

best way is to apply a very liberal coat and sponge off excess. let it dry 24 hours , do again and sponge off again , let dry and repeat.

The good news is that with the light colors , the cloudiness that you get with Cp on dark colors like black , doesn't seem to show.

I alway tries to steer people away from yellow and orange cause its such a pain do to the bleed through. I know some very big shops where if you want yellow or orange despite their advice against it , you do it at your own risk.

yellow, unfortunately, will always bleed a little. youre best bet is to apply a thin coat of epoxy on the under wraps. let it dry two days then re-wrap your underwraps. this way, it will still bleed, but it will bleed yellow which is ok. then, just do your over wraps. you used A thread so it shouldnt be too thick.

Good luck.

Bc

Be sure to pack your threads tight and even. Improper packing will create blotches even if CP is applied right, and even with NCP thread.

This is exactly what the culprit is. Take a really close look at teh wraps where it blotches, I almost guarantee you'll see it is not completely tight together, and there are very, very small gaps between the threads.

I do't feel the color is the problem, rather the wrapper/builder. I said the same things, until I figuresd out how to pack the threads really tight, and since havne't had any issues. THere's a white test stick I wrapped with NCP, no CP & mutiple finishes. First half of the wrap (12") I wrapped the way I normally do, the second half the proper way with packing & some burnishing. THE results - my wrap was blotchy, grey-ish, the other way it was solid white.

Certain colors , and yellow is the worst , just bleed through too easily. You need about 3 coats of color preserver.

Guys,

Thanks for your help. You hit it on the money - Yellow thread and loose wraps. I did wrap them as tight as I could with my V-block wrapper holding the burnishing tool against the thread as I wrapped them. I also burnished them too...

Razor blade here I come!

Sandcrab