Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sudsy

Can you remove paint from a fiberglass rod?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

The first rod I ever wrapped, about 20+ years ago I painted with Rustoleum metallic silver (for some unknown reason rolleyes.gif ). Naturally most of the Flex Coat peeled of in a very short time and the rod was retired.

I'm interested in restoring it to it's origional honey color. Is there a way to remove the paint without damaging the fiberglass??

I'll take a stab at it. tongue.gif

Try some standard paint stripper. The spray paint should FLY off the blank. Wash it down eith thinner then warm soap water. After its dry, use denatured alcohol (NOT rubbing alcohol).

Come to think of it, try the alcohol first - it may work as well, but ya gotta wet a lot of paper towels to do it.

Regardless, fiberglass is pretty tough stufff and almost impervious to anything except car doors. wink.gif

Best to do a test area to see if it will go before ya botch the whole thing. smile.gif Dispose of the solvent soaked rags VERY carefully.

Metallic silver...whoaa, musta been a real beauty.. wink.gif What kind of blank is it.

Brand, rating, length?

Cut it down to a bridge rod and keep it silver, you'll fit right in and ride your bicycle. icon25.gif

Jeff, Yea, I know. I was still in the bucket carrying googan bait fishing stage (kinda like you are now wink.gif ) I thought if it was shiny silver I'd be able to see a hit better, or something like that.

I have no idea what kind of rod it is. Been in the family for about 30+ years. Long and soft, probably a great popping rod.

Sudsy, try rubbing the blank down with laquer thinner or acetone. If you try regular paint remover you may damage the blank. If the laquer thinner doesn't work and you want to try paint remover use the stuff for boats that's supposed to be fiberglass and gelcoat safe. I would use stripper only as a last resort.