Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MJPonticel

advice for a conventional rod

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Al,I just picked up a 9 1/2, 2 piece breakaway blank, and I would like to make a conventional plugging rod. I have not wrapped a pole for some time now and would like to do this over the to cold to fish months Jan and Feb. I dug out all of my old equipment and I'm getting it set up,and can't wait to start wrapping. My question to you is on spacing and guide size. After reading your message board for some time now I know that you or many of the other rod builders can set me in the right direction. I would like to use ten guides and a tip. For the grip I plan to use 1/16, one inch wide cork tape, and a Fuji reel seat. If you could help me with the guide size's and the approx spacing of them I will be able to start. I'm sure that there will be more questions forth coming by me and I hope that you do not mind. Thank you for your time and advice. Mike P

Mike,

I would recommend either the Fuji HNSG or BHNLG guides in the following sizes and number:

20-1, 16-2, 12-3, 10-4 plus an SIC tip.

As far as spacing goes:

The #20 stripper approximately 26-28 inches from the center of the reelseat.

The tipmost #10 guide 4 inches from the tip.

Space the remaining guides in 1/2 inch increasing increments (e.g. 4.5, 5.0, 5.5 etc.)

Tape the guides in place and do a stress distribution test. Adjust the spacing as needed.

Good luck and feel free to post any further questions.

Al

Al, thanks for the quick response and expert advise. I have a follow up question, if I may. I am planing on using an underwrap for the guides, what size thread is best to use for the underwrap, also should I use the same size thread for the guides, or can I use a heavier size. Thanks once again. Mike

Mike,

Underwrap the guides with size A thread and then overwrap with size C or D.

All the info you need is in the 4-part series of rod building articles in the Articles section on this site. Just follow the points in the article and you should do fine.

Al

Al,would this advice go for a 10'also?I am going to build a 10' med heavy,2pc,conventional.Would 10 guides be proper for this rod?Thanks again and good luck to Mike p also.

Mike,

The proper number of guides is determined by a number of factors:

- Action of the blank. A softer action blank required more guides.

- The size of the guides and the height of the ring above the blank.

For a 10 foot conventional surf rod I typically set it up with 8-9 guides depending on the application and action of the blank.

I like to use the Fuji HNSG or BHNLG guides.

The smallest running guide should match the ring size of the tip top, usually a #12 ring. Therefore, my guide sizing would be as follows:

20,16,16,16,12,12,12,12 plus the tip.

If the ring size is a #10 then go with the following:

20,16,16,12,12,12,10,10,10 plus the tip.

You will notice that there is one additional guide used when I drop down to a #10.

Both set ups require you to do a stress distribution (static deflection) test to determine the final position of the guides.

Al

Thanks again,Al.This winter seems to be getting shorter already with all the planned projects.I have to wait untill the new year before I can order any fishin stuff but I can at least prepare my order.tks