Anyone cast sabiki rigs from shore?

Rate this topic

outofline

I guess I'm posting so you guys can talk me out of it.  :)  Despite knowing full well it will be 100% guaranteed to tangle, it's so tempting to be able to cast for bait fish, so I can immediately catch em and move them on to my live bait rig.

It would be nice if there was some riptide, or offshore breeze (balloons), or some other way to get the rig into the surf without flinging it through the air.  Maybe swim it out?  :D

When the Snappers have lock jaw, I put a sabiki rig and 1/2 oz Kastmaster on the spinning rods. It works great.

I was catching 8 at a time. The trick is once you hook one, leave the rig in the water and the fish go into a feedy frenzy.

America, the country so great that even its haters refuse to leave. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Tj View Post

When the Snappers have lock jaw, I put a sabiki rig and 1/2 oz Kastmaster on the spinning rods. It works great.

I was catching 8 at a time. The trick is once you hook one, leave the rig in the water and the fish go into a feedy frenzy.

You are casting it, from shore?  No tangles?

Usually when fish have lock jaw for the regular lures, if I am near my truck I will definitely see what is going on with one.  2 weeks ago I was getting skunked, threw one out, (mine was more for macs) and with the help from a good fella he gave me a smaller size sabiki,(which was returned) and I found out it was bay anchovies they were after..  Made a move, changed lures, and had a good ole time catchin for about 2 hrs..    

You are casting it, from shore?  No tangles?

Yes, casting from shore, dock, boat - it's all the same. You get your occasional tangle where the small hooks catch your main line while unhooking fish, but not when casting.

Sabiki,rigs seem to tangle more when storing, that's why they have special tubular rods where the rig is stored in the rod. These rods are OK for a boat, but cast like a broom stick.

America, the country so great that even its haters refuse to leave. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Tj View Post

Yes, casting from shore, dock, boat - it's all the same. You get your occasional tangle where the small hooks catch your main line while unhooking fish, but not when casting.

Sabiki,rigs seem to tangle more when storing, that's why they have special tubular rods where the rig is stored in the rod. These rods are OK for a boat, but cast like a broom stick.

Just get an 8' piece of 1' schedule 40, a couple of hose clamps and a 1/2" drillbit and you're good to go. clamp your reel to the pvc, drill a hole to feed your line through about 16" ahead of your reel, and you've got a sabiki rod.