Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Leather Neck

Allstar BESP1087

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Anyone ever build on this blank?

I'm building spinner for a buddy. He'd like something one peice, 8 1/2 to 9ft, 3/4 - 2oz with a ton of back bone. I noticed the specs, especially the 1.035 butt diameter and thought it might fit the bill. Never even wiggled one, though. Not too much with the search function either.

Thanks.

I have built on both the 1 and 2 piece of that blank. What I can tell you is that I would recomend you look at another blank. Those rods have such a fast taper in the tip section that a ton of them have broken while fighting fish casting, and I know of one that broke while trying to figure out guide spacings. The 2 that I have will flat out smoke 2oz but I dont use them for fear that they too will break. And believe me its not often that you will here me say this about All-Star rods. I would have recommended the 1145/2 but he wants a 1 piece. Its really a shame to pass on that blank. for 1 piece and needing to throw down to 3/4 oz I would have to recomend looking at some of the Lami blanks. 2 that come to mind are the GSB108 or the GLB108 Both fit the bill pretty well for what your looking for The All-star BGSW1087 is a really nice stick as well but it really loves 2 to 3 Regards Big Dave

Thanks for the input guys. I have the SW1087 and like it a lot, but he thinks it's a little too wimpy. He's the real life Bam-Bam, if you know what I mean.

1145-2 might be the ticket, if he doesn't mind a 2 piece. He's looking for something that feels substantial. It's rated 1-3, can it do a 6" bomber at least reasonably well?

What will happen is you will make that 1145 for him and then keep it for yourself. then be stuck making another stick. no problem with bomers Me I perfer the sitck twisted up conventional but have a one setup spinning, Great sticks for sure Big Dave