Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy 40

Distance Casting Rod

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

DAve - now that you're back, can you give us (me) any tips on setting up a distance casting rod. Which rod, what guides, etc.

If you covered this before, point me to the thread and I'll save you some re-typing.

You hear so much about diferent guides to use, spacing, length, etc. Everyone has a different theory, but I've never spoken to anyone who actually specialized in distance casting.

If not Dave, anyone else wanna chime in with what they do?

If you can give me some particulars I may be able to point you in thr right driection, in my opinion. What will the weight ranges be and what type of fish ie: stripers, red drum, kingfish (aka sea mullet). Let me know.

Billy It helps to understand what you intend to be doing with the rod. As for set ups the most important thing is the blank you intend to build on. Not all blanks are made for distance. Also your grip length is very important. As for the guides. Opinions vary greatly on them. On my competition rods I only use the SIC guides, all other rods I've been using Alconite's or Harldloy. After I Place the guides on the blank to find the right spacing I make sure that I look down through the guides in ensure there is not a giude bloking the view looking from the stripper guide to the tip. The line must have a free path the flow. But As i said in the beginging the blank selection is very important. But lets keep in mind that a rod is only half the set up. You also need a reel thats set up as well. Let me know your requirments of a rod.

Dave,

How about a blank suggestion for throwing 6-8oz plus up to 2-4oz of chunk. Reel would be my hot rod Squiddah.

Thanks

gad

I apologize for not being specific. I have no idea what I'm looking for, I was just being nosy. The distance competetion thing seemed interesting as all heck to me, and I thought there would be a simple answer.

I guess what I'm looking for is the Cone of Flight therory vs 60mm Perfection guides vs Fuji Concept theory vs the Low Rider theory.

All things considered even, you have the best "distance-ist" blank (no idea what teh length would be, I figure that would vary on how much length the fisherman could handle), the ideal reel. What guides (I see SIC) sizes/frames, what handle length, how many guides.

I do a lot of reading, not nearly enough fishing. I have no clue what is true, what is percieved, and what is hype. I know Oznavad is guinea pig master, and has tested all these methods, but I've seeen him cast, and there's a good reason why he's not in any distance contests.

i dont mean to confuse the issue here, but in general what type of action/power combo makes for a distance casting blank? ex:fast action/ML power, fast action ExH power

is one material better than another? ex: composite, glass, graphite

and of course the guides thing billys brainstorming 'bout.

seems to me these 2 (plus some individually tailored stuff like grip and rod length) make a rod what it is.

sorry to bring more questions into this, but ive been wondering...

By distance casting, if you're referring to tournament type distance casting, then you're talking about very specialized blanks. These blanks are very strong, long, (13-14 ft), designed to throw 150 gram weights with a pendulem type cast. (150 gram = about 5 1/4 oz). Use as few guides as possible to keep the line off the blank when the rod is loaded for the cast. Breakaway makes a tourney handle for the 1509, which makes the rod about 13 1/2 or 14 feet I believe. Zipplex makes great tournament blanks. The reel is usually mounted "low", about 3" from the butt. You're casting with your left hand on the reel and your right hand up the blank. Takes a little time to get used to it. Popular reels include the abu 5500/6500 mags, ultra mags, and penn 525 mags. Line is .30 mm I believe, about 12# test. World record cast is about 900' I believe!

This is a huge subject and its certainly far too involved to post here.So just a couple of things. As one gent said is this"more distance in your fishing" or you talking about competition?

What constitutes a good fishing blank may or may not do for casting competition.

Ryan White at Hatteras Jacks is both a fisherman and a competitive caster. I'd suggest that you contact him for guidance/information. hatterasjacks.com Good Luck. Neil

Here is my take on distance casting rods.....

First they need to be long. If the caster has the physical prowess , thye longer the rod , the longer the cast.

These kinds of rods are built from the butt end forward. You start with an extra long butt. You need to have your arms apart to transfer the power. Butt lengths of 32 to 36 inches are seen often. The next thing is the length from the reel to the gathering guide. This should be way out there. There are two ways to help yourself here. first , schoose a blank with a very stiff zome between the reel and about the middle third up the blank. You should have to work to bend it. This stiff middle zone provides power on the cast and also enables the gathering guide to be pushed way out because you won't get much bend in this zone when fighting a fish. I think the first guide should be about 44 inches up or more sometimes for rods in the 12 foot range.

the guide choice should be made to maximize the distance you can push it out. That means a gigh frame guide. You don't have to use "conventional guides just cause its a conventional reel. BSVLG's have a higher frame than the BNLG's so you use the so\\pinning guide to get height. Why push it out so far? the reason is you want to minimize the number of guides. To maximize distance , if the blank has been chosen properly , you can get away with 6 guides on a 12 foot rod.

You start with a 30 BSVLG then use the same high framed spinner guides down to about a 20. The you switch to the BNLG's to start to get the line down to the blank. Finish with BNLG's propbably anothe 20 then 16's too the tip. Use a big ringed , SIC tip where possible. I like the fuji 16 ring SiC tips.

I think if you want real distance , you have to go with a non levelwind conventional reel with very light line. you have to learn to use a mag control to control the spoool rether than your thumb.

you have to be in good physical condition. Y ou have practice a lot cause timing and technique is everything!

You also have to remember taht you will trade away a lot in fishing performance to amximize your distance. Who wants to chase 40 pound stripers with 12 pound line? Not me!

Gadwalll8

There's a few good choices in heavers. Outcast, Zziplex Straight 8 (if money is not an issue). But its hard to look past the All-Star 1509 blank or the Breakaway factory made 2P1P built on the 1509. I have yet to see a better heaver.

Billy

to give you an idea of a couple of my distance setups. the Blanks are made be Zziplex, there are many models, these perticular ones are called a Dymic LT Bullet, and a Primo Full Tournament. The LT is a 14' 5 to 8oz rod and the FT is a 14' 4 to 6 oz rod. both of them have extremely powerful butt sections. Depending on the rod I use 7 to 9 guides My reel is mounted 8 inches up from the bottom of the rod and its 6 feet from the reel to the stripper guide. My guide set up is this BSVLG 30 25 20 16- Then BNLG 16 16 16 12 12 and a 20MM size 12 tip.

In the days ahead as time allows I will go into depth about tournement setups for those that have an intrest, or may want to learn. Regards Big Dave

[ 05-05-2003, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: Big Dave ]