Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimS

Braids and re-thinking guide selection....

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Yea, me again...I told you, I wonder about things way too muchwink.gif

All this talk about line slap, high frame guides, etc....how much of it is even relevant for a guy (like me) who doesn't even own mono? (Well, maybe a spool or twowink.gif)

Braids could shoot through a soda straw with little distance loss. Line slap isn't an issue with just the slightest thought in building the rod. So, I ask ya, why high frame guides with braid? Why worry at all about a 40-50mm stripper guide? The constriction that slows mono down doesn't even phase slick braids like Whiplash and Power Pro.

Any thoughts Al on how new, slick, limp braids could cause a revolution in rod building?

TimS

Tim,

Not being a surf fisherman I can't comment on the advantages of high-frame guides using braided line. I do know that the high-frame guides significant improve casting performance using mono. I have built rods for people,like the "Crazy One", with the high-frame guides who use braid and they really like the casting performance.

All I can say is build a rod with the high-frame guides and test it out. You can go with the Hardaloys instead of investing in the SIC.

Al

P.S. I love to try new things.

Tim - I'm not a surf fisherman (yet), but I have to ask you this: When the braid comes off the spool on a rod you have with lo-frame small ring guides, does it hit the edges of the stripper guide? If so, this would cause the line to bunch up as it hits this guide. At the National seminar, Todd Vivian showed us a video which showed the Japanese champion surf caster (We were told the Japanese Ron Arra). The video showed mono, but I think the same thing would happen when using braid with a size 20 or 25 guide ring (unless the braid does not hit the edges of the ring). The mono was shooting through the guides and looked like a birdsnest as it passed through the ring. Then they showed some new guides that they have on the market (in Japan of course) which prevented the line from bunching at the first guide.

To better understand this video Tim, speak to Todd. I think this might help a bit (or make you more confused thus more questions wink.gif )

Thanks Al, I got the high frame guides, I even wrapped a lighter spinner with them. I'll fish it now and see how I like it smile.gif I like new things too!

Billy, actually, no, I doubt the braid come in contact with the outside edges of the stripper guide. A couple reasons. First, briad is lighter, so there's less centrifugal force to carry the loops outward to contact the guide frame. Second, the braid depletes the spool much slower while casting thus the loops shoot more off the top of the spool rather than shooting out from the edges of the spool. Third, the braid is far limper than mono, a loop being led towards the stripper guide quickly becomes a straight line instead of a loop...I'm guessing far before the frame of the first guide.

Now I just need a high speed video camera to confirm my above thoughts wink.gif

TimS

Tim - those are some great points. Never even thought about the fact that the braid depletes the spool less on a cast. You do have some valid points. It wasn't long ago that the Perfection 75 ring (I think that's the size) was the norm.

Tim - if you have the surgical tubing Al suggested to use to hold the guides on the rod, you don't even need to wrap 2 rods with similar guides - just use the same one with different guides in different places and see what works best.

What you say does make a lot of sense, and I think I am going to put some braid on me freshwater spinning reels and do some testing of my own. Thanks, Billy