glow in the dark threads?

Rate this topic

Gary Lee

What does everyone think of these threads, or if does someone prefer one brand over another..and where I can find "the best" thread. The glow in the dark threads interest me as I fish the beach late at night many times during the year...and this would really be a neat thing if I don't have to keep taping those glow sticks to the tip of the pole. Thanks for all your help...

Gary,

First of all, Welcome to the site. HappyWave.gif

Where did you see the "glow in the dark" rod wrapping thread? I'm no expert but I've only seen threads that may look "bright" in neon colors but never ones that actually glowed in the dark.

I would also think that even if it was possible to make thread that actually glows it would be hard to see from any distance and would not last very long.

If you like thread that gives a sheen then try metallic thread or the neon colors. They'll look better in the long run.

If you want information on neon color threads ask Billy40, he's got tons of it and likes to make some of his rods as "loud" as possible. wink.gif

Picked up a spool of LYI 80M Glow Bug. It's a white embroidery thread that glows a nice shade of green. Did a test wrap in a scrap peice of blank. It became translucent like most white threads on a black blank, but it still glowed fairly well. Have also messed around with some glow-in-the-dark pigments. Have mixed them into the epoxy and aplied it to a test wrap. The finish dries a milky white.. but glows like crazy..I coated several jig heads with it.. hoping the stripers like it smile.gif

Fish addict - explain this mixing procedure you used. What paint & epoxy, & how did you apply it to teh rod? I'm playing around painting the entire rod withe LS Supreme & Classic Coat with Testors paint & Iridescent glitter. Am interested in this GLow in the Dark stuff too. Just in case ErikT tried to "house" my rod out of teh sand spike, I'll be able to notice quickly.

MNW - there are several glow in teh dark threads for embroidery, and if I'm not mistaken,Merrick sells one for rod wrapping (I could be wrong though).

If you want a decorative NEON BRIGHT thread, and I mean NEON Bright - MAdiera has some that actually hurt my eyes.

"the internet is the greatest platform for people who don't know anything, to tell people how much they don't know, to people who don't know anything and believe everything they read."
-Billy 40:16

Thanks for the welcome and the quick responses ya'll! HappyWave.gif

Billy 40 was right on...Merrick is where I saw these threads. They had 3 or 4 different brands of glow in the dark thread. One of them even said it lasted 8 hours?! I don't know about all that. I just want something I could recharge w/ a flashlight every now and then..that would be fine with me.

I have wrapped a couple of rods with the metallic thread...and really like them a lot. I was just not sure of the glow threads though. I'm thinking what the heck...and I might buy a spool and try it out.

Fishaddict sparked my interest in the glow pigments...where would you get something like that?

Guys, I'm at work right now, but once I get home i'll pull up the link for the pigments and post them for you..

Billy. the mixing is very easy.. I have used a Glow Green (white powder) and a glow red (red powder). Mixxed pigment directly into the epoxy after the i mixed both epoxy parts together. applied the epoxy/pigment mixture with a brush lust like normal. Both dried a cloudly / milky color.. I did't like the way it looked on the black blank, but might try a honey or white blank. As the mix got thick and unusable with the brush, I dipped in a couple jig heads.. Loved the way that came out..

Did a time test on the thread and pigment last night. A single rap of the thread glowed for 20min when charged with a mini mag light for 30 seconds. The pigment glowed for 20 on the rod and 35 on the jig head.. jig head is heavly coated...

Will post pigment supplier later...

Billy.. I need to find out from you how I can get my Neon Green Thread to stay neon green on a black blank .. Mine become too translucient.. is painting the black blank white the only solution???

Thanks

Bob

Billy.. I need to find out from you how I can get my Neon Green Thread to stay neon green on a black blank .. Mine become too translucient.. is painting the black blank white the only solution???

Thanks

Bob

You have to test it out. I've never used any Neon colors on guide wraps, only on a wooden dowel I was testing butt wraps on. I'd wrap the butt of the blank where the grips will go - I'd do 3 test wraps.

One I'd put Color Preserver on (something I'm NOT a fan of on guide wraps.

The second I would try painting the blank white - this has been covered here in the archives, it is not the easiest thing to get right (for me at least).

The last wrap I would put an underwrap of Silver metallic, and overwrap with the Neon thread. I think this will work best, but I'm not sure since I gave my Neon Orange thread away, and only used it in the butt wrap with CP.

Thanks for teh link, something else to spend money on - lol!!

"the internet is the greatest platform for people who don't know anything, to tell people how much they don't know, to people who don't know anything and believe everything they read."

Would you happen to have access to a digital camera, I would really like to see either the jighead, or the mixed epoxy on the blank.

Bob you can post the picture here, or just e-ail it directly to me. Learning to take a digi photo: A> Point. B> Click. C> look at it on computer. lol. It's quite easy when you get the hang of it.

I just recieved more metallic threads from Madiera (time to start amassing YLI threads now). I don't see any Glow in the Dark threads on teh color chart, but they do have Flourescent Neon threads.

• 2 weeks later...