Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
teedubya

ROD WRAPPING

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Does anyone on the board have a design for building a rod wrapper? I am trying to get the hang of wrapping and I don't want to purchase a setup just yet. I'd rather try and build one first and then see If I'm going to continue building rods or not.

Teedubya

Cabella's sells the Calvin Rod Wrapper for about 7 bucks. It's a simple tension holder for your wrapping thread spool that attaches to your workbench with a clamp. I wrapped my first rod without a rodholding jig, just held the rod in my hands and wrapped- many people wrap this way, I found out later. I also built a simple rod holder by using a miter box to saw a v shaped notch into a piece of 1x2 molding(you need at least 2 of these) and fastening them to a piece of 2x4 as the base. You can use l shaped brackets with holes . The two pieces are about 24" apart. A few strips of masking tape or felt can be used to line the v shaped notches to protest the blank from scratching. This may sound complicated, but it's really simple and the material is easily found in Home depot for a few bucks. Email me if you need more info. I'm not very handy and my setup may look funky, but it works, and I have the satisfaction of doing it myself. I can always buy one of the fancy models if I get into building rods in a more serious way.