Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Lure Washer

What does Spiral wrapping do?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Beats the hell out of me.

cwm27.gifRight!

Spiral wrapping is only for conventional rods (or I guess a spincast) and heres why it is so effective.

When you put a bend in a rod the line wants to be on the bottom. This places a rotational load on the rod. Some rods actually feel like they want to roll over in your hand. By doing a spiral wrap, you put the line under the rod starting near the reel.

Under load, the rod now feels like it wants to stay upright, like a spinning rod.

It looks un-conventional (pun intended) so folks think it's screwy. It actually make a lot of sense in many cases.

Spiral wrapping does what spine orientation cannot do - it prevents rod twist when the rod is under load.

The great fallacy of rolling a blank around in your hands to find the spine, and then thinking that you can orient the spine in such a manner as to prevent rod twist, lies in the fact that fish don't jump out of the water and deflect your blank with a fin. They load the by pulling on a line that is running through guides attached to the rod. This load will overcome the spine effect each and every time.

This is also why ALL rods with the guides located on top of the rod (regardless of where you orient the spine) will attempt to twist and torque when under load. The load will attempt to move the rod so that the line is at the lowest point - under the rod.

By spiral wrapping, you locate the guides where they want to be in the first place - under the rod. A rod with a good spiral wrap will actually become more and more stable as you apply more and more load to it. A rod with the guides on top (regardless of spine location) becomes more and more unstable as you apply more load to it.

[ 12-26-2005, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: Saltheart ]

sure makes for one UGLY rod!!!!!

That can be said about 80% of the custom rods guys build - spiral, spinning, conventional, and even fly - it doesn't matter where the guides are, puke colors & 50 turn trim rings look terrible on any rod, lol.

i actually find it to be a very plesant appearance, it shows more of a willingness to use a technical advantage to have the best of both spinning rod action and conventional reel castability, sensitivity and retrive power..

just for curiosity

How would you go about doing a spiral wrap?

My guess would be that you would wrap the collector and mount the tip then thread a line b/w the two and wrap the guides along that line.

from what ive seen...the stripper guide goes on regular and the nevt guide can go one of two ways.in the first way you put the 2nd guide at a 90 degree angle to the stripper on the side of the blank and the rest go straight on the bottom.

Ive also seen spiral wraps with both the 2nd and 3rd guides as "transition" guides.the second goes above the 90 degree line from the stripper and the 3 rd just below it....

I HAVE NOT WRAPPED A ROD SPIRAL,THESE ARE OBSERVATIONS

youngsalt, there was just an article in one of the recent RodMaker magazines about a simple spiral wrap, and then there was a letter to the editor and a response about this as well.

now, from my memory (which is usually okay), i remember the condensed version from the editor's response being the following:

1. place all guides on top of your blank as if you were going to wrap a normal conventional rod.

2. space them out based on a static distribution test, making sure to eliminate all flat spots, so that you get a nice curve that matches the blank's curve when under a load.

3. once you are satisifed with your guide placement, rotate all of the guides except for the stripper guide (guide closest to the reel) to the bottom of the rod. this is where they will be wrapped.

4. measure the halfway point between your stripper guide and the first guide that is under the rod. this will be where you put your bumper guide at a 90 degree angle.

5. run your line thru the guides again to double check everything, then wrap it up.

so, when all is said and done, you should have your stripper at 0 degrees (right on top), a bumper at 90 degrees halfway between your stripper and first underneath guide, and all of the other guides at 180 degrees.

there was also some discussion about guide choices, but my memory isn't that good.

i wrapped a Batson 1087 as a spiral last year. i used two transition guides to get the line underneath the rod, and my stripper is offset to the right by about 20 degrees or so. it has worked great for me off of the beach and jetties, although i must admit that i haven't had any fish big enough to really give the rod a test.

I've built a few spiral wrapped boat rods. You want a smooth transition to the bottom of the blank, with no sharp bends in the line. You can use 1 or 2 transition guides. The above method would be a good starting point although you can probably use 1 or more less guides than a conventional near the tip since you don't need to keep the line off the blank. I use no bigger than a size 12 guide to transition, I don't want the guide sticking out too far. Adjust the transition guide(s) angle and spacing and experiment with guide size until you've got the line to the bottom with no sharp bends. I've seen NYBayMan's spiral rods and he even uses tiny (look like a 12) stripper guides on them with no problems. The spiral method lets you get away with smaller guides. I'll still use a 16 or 20 stripper then transition with a 12 or two then run 10's and/or 8's out to the tip at 180 degrees.