Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drew C.

Blank for 9' spin

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I have been looking into 9' blanks for a rod that I want to build this winter. I am looking for something that can handle 2-3oz plugs (bottle, metal lips, etc) well. I have so far only found three - the XRA1084 and Batson 1087/1088. I plan on using braid and either a vs200 or shimano stella/sustain 6000 on it. I'd like to find something that comes close to my Fisher 8308 and if I have to settle a little I'd rather the rod be more on the heavier side rather than the light. Right now I tend to lean towards the 1088. What can anyone here tell me about these blanks/rods?

The two that I build most that compare to the 8308 is the GSB1081L, (GSB1081M on the heavier side), Batson 1087, (1088 on the heavier side) and the new Arra 1084, which I feel is more of what you are looking for.

I built my first 2 rods this fall on a Batson SU1087, one conventional one spin. IMO they are sweet blanks for the $ but 3 oz is at the very top end for this blank. The conventional shines with a 2oz hopkins and the spin is nice for bombers. I don't have experience handling the 1088 but I have one sitting on my bench waiting.

If you are tossing 2 and 3 oz, then I like the 1088 better than 1087. Also consider the gsb1081m. Can't go wrong with either one. Know lots of people that like the arra 1084.

This is another possibility for a nine foot blank. A GSB1201L cut 1' from the butt. It's a blank which fits a VS 200 nicely. Weighs approx. 7oz. when cut. It has parobolic action and throws 1-3oz.plus lobs 4oz.. Eels, pencils ,redfins , dannys all work great. With a #10 tip it takes a little more abuse than the GSB's w/ #7tips. Food for thought.

My $.02

For throwing 2-3 oz. and sporting a VS200 I second the motion of Pbadad: Use a GSB1201L with a foot cut off the butt.

I'll third that. I prefer a cut 120 1L to either of the stock Lami 9 footers. You wind up with something comparable to a Fisher 8708.

If you go with Batson Rainshadow, be aware that there are two lines of Rainshadow 9 footers--the SW which are similar to the old Sabre IGSC blanks, and the SU which are similar to the All Star blanks. The SU tend to be stiffer and a tad faster in the same model numbers. For 2-3 oz I would definitely go with the SW 1088 over the 1087. In the SU line, you might be able to go with the 1087.

Thanks for the suggestions. For whatever reason I never looked at the 10's. The GSB120L with a foot off the butt looks like the way to go for what I am looking for. Also I guess the new SSU120L might work as well.