Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Prospector

Thinning Flex Coat

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hi Al, just a question that came to mind. I myself haven't tried it, but can you thin Flex Coat, instead of buying the Lite? Can you just thin it with lacquer thinner or acetone and get good results? Thanks. Prospector

Prospector,

You can thin regular Flexcoat with acetone. However, I would not recommend it. If you add too much to the finish it will not cure properly and the finish will not stand up over time.

I recommend that immerse both bottles of resin and hardener in hot (not boiling) water for about 2 minutes. The warmth of the water will thin the finish. Then mix equal parts of resin and hardener slowly stir for three minutes to mix the finish.

Pour the mixed finisd onto a piece of aluminum foil. This will allow you more working time with the finish.

After applying the finish, use an alcohol lamp to warm the applied finish by slowly passing the alcohol lamp about 4-6 inches under the wraps. The heat will break the surface tension and release any remaining bubbles.

Thanks Al, been using that preheat and heat method for years too. Was just a thought, seems like it could be useful but I was concerned if it would set up properly. Thanks. Prospector

I have thinned flexcoat with acetone with success, however I only needed a few conservative drops in a mixture of about 20cc. I have since switched to U-40 Duragloss and I think its a much better epoxy than flex coat for two reasons: 1. Its thinner from the start and less prone to bubbles than flexcoat, and 2. It is clear, and provides a water like glossy finish with no hazing or yellowing typical of flex coat. With 3 or 4 coats of Gudebrod 811 color preserver underneath, I usually dont have to do any flaming becuase the bubble just arent there. My .02

Al,

One question after appling the flexcoat to the rod. I have seen heating the flex coat with a propame flame, instead of an alchol lamp.

Are there any disadvantages / advantages of this, opposed to using the alchol lamp. As well is there a correct way to do this.

P.S.

Thanks for sharing all of your experience in this forum. It really has helped.

Paulbo

Paul,

I know builders that use a propane torch, but I prefer an alcohol lamp for better control. Your choice.

I really enjoy teaching the craft and sharing my experience. I learned from some of the best in the country over the years and I like passing it along.

Al

Paul,

I see you live close by me. Any serious rodbuilding points you need clarification on please let me know. Maybe you want to drop by on a Saturday morning and poke around in the shop.

Al