Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianZ

XS and GSB

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Al,

Or whoever knows, what is the difference between the gsb101m and the xs101ms blank? is there a difference? I have the xs101ms factory rod and was told by someone that it was the same blank as the gsb101m? but i used the gsb101L (thanx JohnM) and the two rods feel worlds apart.

Brian,

The blank designations are:

GSB1081L - 9 foot, one piece, 1/2-1.5 oz.

GSB1081M - 9 foot, one piece, 3/4-2.5 oz.

The XS designation is for the factory built rod. So, there would be an XS1081L and an XS1081M.

Hope this explains it.

Al

Thanks Al,

So lemme get it staright, the xs and gsb are the same thing it's just that the xs is the designation for factory rods?

BTW my xs101ms is a 10' 1 piece rod so then shouldn't it be xs120ms?

I always thought that the XS101MS was built on the GSB 120 1L blank. Lami labels their factory rods differently than they do the blanks, the "10" in the factory model number refers to its length in feet, and the following "1" indicates that it's a one-piece blank. The "120" in the blank model number refers to its length in inches, and the "1L" suffix refers to a one piece, light power model.

However, after swinging Tim's Christmas present from last year, before it broke, the action does feel different than my custom built on the 120 1L blank. Mine dates from the late 80s, and it's possible Lamiglas may have tweaked the taper on the GSB series blanks since then.

My error guys, sorry. The blanks are designated in inches and the factory rods are designated in feet. Therefore a XS1201M factory rod would be built on a GSB1201M blank.

Al

Fer the record, the XS101MS is built on the GSB1201L blank. They don't make a factory rod on the GSB1201M blank, it would be labeled an XS101MHS if they did. In other words, their blanks rated at "L" are wrapped into rods with an "M"...a blank rated at "M" is wrapped to a factory rod labeled "MH". Yes, tis confusing indeed. Ditch, I just got a new XS101MS, the blank is the GSB1201L...and it's even sweeter than the XS10MS (2 piece) I'm having a GSB1201L wrapped right now conventional...and my hands get sweaty just thinkin' about it! biggrin.gif

TimS

[This message has been edited by TimS (edited 12-23-2000).]

This is interesting,my wife had a rod built for me for x-mass after coming home from a Montauk weekend complaining how under gunned I was.She must have remembered and contacted the guy I went with for info and I got a gsb120 1l custom wrapped for a spinner,havnt picked it up yet but I cant wait.A guy named John from Islip(fish stix)wrapped it green wraps from what I hear.Now I will need a reel.Hope it suits me well for Montauk next year......cheen

Cheen,

The GSB1201L is a great blank for casting up to two ounces. Beyond that weight it starts to wimp out.

John "Fish Stix" is an excellent builder, especially surf rods.

Al

So Tim, "Johns Rod" and the xs101ms are the same blank?I ask because i also own the xs101ms and I fished with Johns rod smile.gif and they felt like 2 completely different rods.

Hey Brian,

Which one of John's rods are you talking about?? His one piece 10' brown Lami? If so, its not a GSB1201L...its an S-glass blank if I'm not mistaken. That rod is a bunch of years old and the action is most likely really different from Lami's GSB1201L.

Phil L

Yeah Phil,

It was the one he calls his montauk stick, it has cork grips and "john's rod" printed in gold above the foregrip. it felt a lot whippier than the xs101ms if it's an s-glass blank that makes a lot of sense. I emailed John a while back and he wasn't sure what the blank was and a few others from the site here figured it was the GSB1201L,

Are ya sure it's an S-glass lami? and why doesn't John know? smile.gifconfused.gifsmile.gif