Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drew C.

Pac Bay Blanks?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I've built a few of 'em .....Not bad at all for the price!

I use Lami for myself and find that the pac bay is comparable BUT -they do weigh a little more.

They also have an excellent transferable warranty.

The people I've sold them to LOVE them.

I built a stick on one of their stand up tuna blanks for someone, its that persons fav stand up rod now. Not bad blanks for the money.

Ive never built one for myself, but with my personal surf rods...im a lil anal... redface.gif

If there blanks are like there guides I'ed stay away. If you want a mid priced blank of quality look into St Croix, a very underated brand.

If you don't mind, let me highjack this one for a second. How do the Pac Bay PRSC blanks compare to the old Sabre (plum colored) blanks? I have been told that the mandrel is the same as is the composition but the color is now black. Any opinions, in particular the 1027, 1087, and 1088?

The old Sabre blanks were 2" shorter and had a more parabolic taper. I've had the "old" and "new" Sabre and Pac Bay blanks side by side and they have some slight differences. Slightly longer, and a half size smaller in the tip on the new Sabre/Pacs. My "old" 1088 takes a size 8 tip, and the tip on the two "new" 1088s I had was a size 7.5. BTW color has nothing to do with it. Some of the "new" Sabre/Pac blanks were also plum colored. The texture of the weave on the "old" and "new" plum blanks is also slightly different. An original IGSC by Sabre will have "IGSC" written in red on the butt section, underneath the gelcoat.

IMO the Rainshadow SW series is very close to the "old" Sabre.

Thanks DJ. Ya, I was using the plum color as a descripton as most remember the "old" Sabre blanks for that color. Good heads up though.

Thanks TT for letting me highjack your post. If you don't mind me saying, make your question more specific. IMO, each blank manufacturer has a niche' for a certain type of application. What type of rod are you hoping to build and for what type of fishing?