Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoeB

Stripping rod from conv --> spinning

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I've got a Lami GSB1202L that I originally built as a conventional last year. Thinking about tearing it down a making it a spinner, as it would definately see more time at the water's edge rather that stay put in my closet. rolleyes.gif

I've ripped apart rods before for rebuilds, but never went from one style of rod to another. Wondering what would be my options in terms of refinishing to blank. Never used permagloss (sp?) before, which is primarily the reason why I'm asking this. Of course, the other option is to just strip it and wrap on some spinning guides and ignore what the rods looks like. I don't mind the work that goes into something like this...I need something to keep me occupied when not at work to be honest. redface.gif

Thanks.

Thats a quality blank so this shouldnt be too difficult.. start by using a heat source (I use a bbq grill lighter) and use a razor blad to cut thru the epoxy on your wraps and under wrap. Peel back the epxoy, the thread will come with it. using heat makes removing epoxy a little more easy. Once the guides are off, you have two choices 1) clean/prepare each striped section and re-finish or 2) strip the entire blank of all of its epoxy.

If you really want to make it look brand new, strip the whole rod down...

use a razor blade to scrap off the old epoxy. DO NOT ANGLE THE BLADE you will eventually cut into the graphite. by merely scrapping, you will only scratch off of the old epoxy and effect the blank at all... After the entire rod is stripped, clean the blank with denatured alcohol. this will show any spots you missed. keep cleaning after each scrap session until your done. then wrap your guides... then ALL At once, I use Flex Coat Lite formula, I epoxy the entire blank, up over the guides and continue on the blank. youll have to remix 2-3 times with epoxy, but its worth. It gives the guides to blank appearance a real nice look. just apply the epoxy very thin when not on a guide.

If you only do the guides, clean in the same manner, wrap your guides where yuo want them, then use flex coat formula for your guides and also the Bare area.

I know its hard to understand what Im describing, so if you need more help, send a PM and we can chat off line.

BC

i agree with BC, it's not that difficult and i've done it more than once. what i do is cut the wraps just to release the guide and peal off any wraps i can, then with a hair dryer i'll heat the wrap ends and peal off, with my thumb nail, some epoxy to expose just 3 or 4 threads. now i need just to get the starter thread loose to un-wimd the entire wrap. finally, to clean the blank of any stay epoxy i use heat, denatured alchohol a thin rag and my thumb or a plastic scrapper like credit card. generally, with patience i expect the blank in pristine condition when i'm done stipping it.

Thanks for the help, guys. I've used my heat gun (a great investment, IMHO) a few times already to remove guides, etc, so that part I'm comfortable with. I was just concerned about the condition of the blank under the wraps in terms of looking different than those areas that were previoously exposed. I may give it a shot this weekend if I get bored.

I second the idea of selling it and making a new one as a spinner. Its more work to strip one than to build one. unless there is a sentimental attachment , sell it and start fresh.

I've completely stripped and rewrapped a few of my own to try different style guides and placement, cleanest way if you don't mind a matte finish is to lightly wet sand the entire blank lightly with 1200 grit paper after removing the guides and scraping the underwraps. you will have a clean blank to start over with. Some might argue the gloss coat is for strength and protection of the blank and that you shouldn't remove but I find that completely untrue, been fishing some that way for years and never lost one. Still I agree, it's more work to strip than it's worth, it's a good rod, sell it and start fresh.