Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Springer

old St Croix surf rod

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I was home rummaging through my dads old fishing stuff this weekend and came across an old fiberglass St. Croix one piece surf rod that is 9' and is brown/orange in color. I took it out and tossed a bomber with it for a while and it felt sweet for this size plug. All that is printed on the blank is "St Croix 509". Does anyone know anything about this old rod blank? The chrome plated guides metal reel seat and cork grip are in rough shape but I am wondering if a rod like this is worth my effort to restore with updated components.

WBGelbke, I think for sure this will end up being a restoration project for me, it was origonally given to my Dad by my grandfather sometime in the 80s. Do you know where I can get info on the blank such as taper/action and recomended lure weights? Thanks.

Jason

Ok so this turns out to be interesting. I contacted St Croix directly to find out about this rod and this is the reply I received:

[You have a rare one as the 509 was manufactured for just one year: 1975. Classified as a "Coastal," it was, as you surmised, intending for surf fishing.

In building a database, I found catalog content to be indicative of the times. Modern anglers would be quite upset if any rod manufacturer currently published such a catalog. In the '50s, rods were sold based on cosmetics more than function. Studying today's catalog with that statement in mind, it is quite apparent how much things have changed. The mid '70s was half and half, as indicated by the description of the "500 Series" rods (of which your "509" is one) in the 1975 St. Croix catalog:

"The Coastal 500 Series features mahogany shafts with double wound stainless steel guides - #80 stripper - double locking ring and 1" chrome reel seat - cork grip - black underwrap and red overwrap - 2 thread winds - trim with diamond butt wrap."

That's it. Not a word about power or action or line/lure weight. The catalog, in fact, has only line drawings of portions of the rod. I apologize for not being able to provide you with more information but it simply isn't available.]

So this rod was manufactured in 1975 and it sounds like a nice blank. Now I need to figure out what to do with it. Is it worth restoring a 1975 rod to fish with or should I just hang onto it as a sentimental keep-sake? I am a total novice at rod building and would like some advice on the best way to tackle a project like this. If I were to restore the rod should I do it with all modern components or try and restore it to its original form when it was new?