Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spigola

What if?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

What if someone, guess who, decided to build a pair of dedicated bottom fishing graphite rods. Both should be one piece, light in weight, and 7'6" in length when finished. What blanks should that someone start looking at. Trimming tips and butt sections is a definite option.

Rod #1 would be for ocean fluking, porgies and seabass fishing. Must be able to handle up to about 8 to 10 ounces of lead and still stick the occasional tog in 100 feet of water without collapsing, yet sensitive enough to feel a light hit and enjoy the fight of the smaller fish.

Rod #2 would be a dedicated blackfishing rod for use with hard bait in anywhere from 40 to over 100 feet of water. It would be used with 40# mono, be sensitive in the tip and handle up to 14 oz. of lead, for some of those areas with swift currents near the East end of LI.

Anyone want to jump in and help this guy I know wink.gif find a starting point in his next tackle quest?

Spigola confused.gif

For the heavy stick I'd go with a Calstar Grafighter 800M trimmed to length. It's a composite but it is sweet.

Mark Flynn carries Calstar I'm sure you can pull on some rods over there wink.gif

All Graphite, or Composites?

You'd have a hard time beating an 800L & a 800M - cut to your likes. The 800L is fine up to 10oz, but will handle 14oz, with 4 inches cut off teh tip it is a perfect deepwater Tog rod with 14oz at 17 Fathoms. I only have wrapped a 700M, but I don't even think you need to cut the tip of an 800M to handle 14oz.

Other options - Lami CGBT961M cut down (assuming Todd takes me up on my suggestion to make these available for everyone, not just one), and teh CGBT841ML with a bit cut off the tip and extended a bit. Admittedly, these blanks are not as sensitive as the Calstars, and are a drop heavier.

GUSA - feel free to pick up a couple of GUSA's and let me know which ones you like.

Seeker - I don't have many Seekers, so I don't know. I'm sure some of the CLB or CJB 20-50 blanks will fit teh bill, but I have no experiance with these. Feel free to buy these as well, and let me know what you like.

Thanks Gad and Billy,

Leave it up to me to overlook the obvious. Those Calstar rods/blanks are really nice and very nicely priced. Light, strong and well made. Might just have to order two of their DH 8 foot rods, L & M, and play around with them. Alot cheaper than going totally custom.

Spigola HappyWave.gif

I am in the process of building a deep water Fluke rod for a friend from Virginia.

The blank I went with is a Diamondback model FCG7H. I wouldnt have thought about a Diamondback but having a friend who owns a tackle shop and carries them opened my eyes to it.

Just a suggestion?

Russ