Boat Rods & Reels

Rate this topic

mmundok

I recently purchased a boat and will be fishing in and around the India River Inet in Delaware. Can anyone give me a recommendation on some good "middle of the road" boat rods and reels? I have done mostly surf fishing and don't have a clue about "boat" fishing equipment.

------------------

Matt

Matt,

Please provide some detailed info on the type of fishing,the species of fish and method of fishing you will be doing.

Here are a few examples:

- Striped Bass - Live lining bait or jigging in 25-50 feet with 30 lb test.

- Sea bass and Tautog - wreck fishing in 50-100 feet.

- Fluke and Weakfish - Drifting with bait or casting bucktails in the bay.

The more details you can provide the better we can hone in on the proper rod and reel.

Al

I think all three of these fishing techniques will be attempted over this upcoming season. I have drifted for fluke/weakfish in the past. Typically using minnows or cut-bait. I would also like to try to drift for Stripers using live eels or spot. I fished for Tog on the jetties, however, heading offshore to the wrecks may not be in my near future until I get use to the area. In the past I have just used spinning gear, 6' Med Action, 10lb test. This is the same equipment I use up north for Walleye and Smallies. I'm looking for gear more suited for saltwater and with a little more "guts" for those heavier fish. Is there gear that would be considered "every boat should have". Standard gear for experienced fisherman in a new saltwater environment?

------------------

Matt

Matt,

For inshore fishing I like three basic outfits as follows. All are conventional rods which I prefer for fishing from a boat in saltwater. All the rods are 6.5-7 feet.

- Light - 10-15 lb test, 1/2 - 1.5 ounce lures and 1-4 ounce sinkers. Good for fluke, weakfish, scup, small bass and blues.

Match this with a good conventional casting reel like an Abu 6500BG, Shmano TRN100 or equivalent.

- Medium - 15-25 lb test, 2-6 ounce sinkers.

Drifting live bait for stripers, diamond jigging and ocean bottom fishing for sea bass and tautog up to 75 feet. Reels to match this would be a Penn 320 GTI, Newell 229, Shimano TRN 200.

- Heavy - 25-40 Lb test, 6-12 ounce sinkers.

Drifting and jigging for trophy bass in fast tides, bottom fishing in water 100-200 feet.

Reels would be a Newell 332-3.6 or 338-3.6, Penn Senator 113H or equivalent.

Good production rods to look at the the composite rods from Lamiglas, Calstar and Seeker. Tim S. is carrying the full line of Lamiglas rods at excellent prices so check with him on availability.

Al