Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
saltydawg

Well that was a disappointment

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I recently tried American Tackles chrome finished guides with gold rings on my own personal spinning rod (since I had not used them before, I didn't want to try them on someone else's) and after two weeks they look like they are 20 years old. The chrome finish is pitted and discolored and oxidizing. And I even wash my rods down after every use. Pity.

I wont say I told ya so!! biggrin.gif

For ring guides it's Fuji all the way and I would use the Alconite for the bottom line guide. As decent as Hardalloy has been, the Alconites have the same stainless frame as the Sic and are therefore all that more durable.

Sorry about your experience.

I wish that stuff was more durable since they have some great looking stuff!

I agree. If you want a guide you can depend on, Its FUJI. Pacific Bay is fast gaining in some catagories, but are not the quality of the Fuji yet. I was in the rod repair business and used both Fuji and Pac Bay.

THat's not a surprise. HEre's a post I made yesterday. AS I said, they are probably a great guide in teh FW, just not teh SW, regardless of what teh tests say, actual use proves the tests aren't worth a piece of toilet paper.

Lure Washer - take those guides into the SW, forget to wash them one night, and let me know what color the frames are. I've only seen 3 sets of these guides, all three had Pen Squidder Corrosion green frames after use. One guy took his fly rod out on 1 Offshore trip, and by the time he got back to the dock they already started corroding. HE posts here too, I'm sure if he sees this he'll post. I'm not knocking those guides, just posting my experiance with all 3 sets I saw on rods that were used. For FW I think they are definately worth teh money though, as they look great.

I have always used Fuji Alconites when building for customers, but the stink Am. Tackle has made in the building world, I thought "Why not?" Now I'm eyeballing the Titan titanium frames and wondering if they're not too pricy.

i had the same experience with the am.tack

guides.i thought i would try the blue rings out

on a couple of my own first and sure enough the

freshwater is fine but the weakfish rod guides

after only 2 times out started to look like crap.

freshwater only guides.i won't use them on

any but my own.i've only used the single foot

spinning guides also.no problem with fugi on the SW rods

WR

I have to agree with the others that on a saltwater rod, it's Fuji all the way. I use Alconites on my rods and have been very pleased. Even the hardloys will hold up in the salt as many a factory rod uses the Hardloy concept guides.

Lou