Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nhten

Found an old blank

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Hey all,I moved last fall,,and after the move,,I came accross a blank I forgot I had.Its a Lami,BSB1363M,,,any suggestions about what to build with this blank?I got it from a tackle shop in RI,but cant remember what I was going to do with it.Thinkin maybe a bait rod???Anyone know the ratings for this blank?Thanks

You can do almost anything ya want with that blank. Use it full length for either spinning or conventional, for lures beginning at about 1-1/2 oz, or bait with 6-8 oz of lead. Chop it from the butt to make a plugging rod, or chop it from the tip to make a meat stick. Lamiglas rated it 4-8 oz, but it handles less fine, and you could lob 8 oz and a chunk. Very versatile blank, and it'll move a fish in current like few others.

hi

i was hoping someone would bring up this

blank

i have the same and was going to use it for

bait.most of the time 6 and bait,but i would

like it for 8 and a head if needed.

now,its a 12 or 14 tip.i was going to cut it

back to a 16 or 18.which would do it better?

while i'm at it.how many guides?i was laying out for 9

thanks in advance

john

Thank you guys,I was thinking of a ditch jiggin rod,,,,,but Im not sure it has the backbone to handle the 5oz jigs.Next idea was a heavey bait stick,,,,thats the reason for this post.All suggestions are more than welcome!!

I have a 136 4M and 8oz and a big head more or less maxes it out for long casting. I'm not really sure if trimming a blank truly increases the top end. It certainly will narrow the usable weight range.

gad

while i'm at it.how many guides?i was laying out for 9

John, one of mine is cut to an 18 tip and is right about 10' overall. Can't remember if I trimmed the butt at all to end up at 10', but at that length (and stiffness), fives guides - six max. - is plenty far as I'm concerned. It handles six ozs. and a big chunk just fine. I quite happily avoid throwing eight as much as possible but it should be up to handling the occasional need for that with no problem at all.

i'm glad to hear that bill

i kinda thought up to 6,8 is pushing it

for the action of the blank.i'll bet throwing

6 and lobbing 8ozs

i'll be using a abu 7500.with that reel,is

a 20 gathering guide ok?also glad to hear 5

or 6 guides.

after this blank,i got another to ask about

thanks

That'll work, but I think most of my huskier glass conventionals are 25, 20, 16 and then 2 or 3 12's. Bigger guides just look better on those beefy old school rods.

i see in another post that oz says

he doesn't underwrap anything.i started

not underwrapping spinning,but casting

i do

any other opinions on this?if no,what

size thread?i recently went to 'A' for

everything and so far so good.

NCP or not?

WR

View Posti see in another post that oz says

he doesn't underwrap anything.i started

not underwrapping spinning,but casting

i do

any other opinions on this?if no,what

size thread?i recently went to 'A' for

everything and so far so good.

NCP or not?

WR

There is absolutely no technical reason to underwrap on either a conventional rod or spinner. There is no truth in the old held belief that underwrapping will somehow protect your blank from the guide feet. It won't.

Underwraps are only really there for decoration. They can have detrimential effects on light actioned blanks as they add extra weight with the finish. How a rod looks is very personal. Me I think underwrapping makes a rod look tarty. I probably would not sell many rods in the USA. On LI nearly all the custom Lami's I see are underwrapped. I just like my rods lean mean and totaly functional.

"A" size thread is good for even 8oz rated surf rods. Plenty strong enough and your finish will be much better. It takes litle more time to wrap as does C.D or E.

NCP or not. Up to you and what effect you want. I don't like colour preservers so for me it's NCP except I always use black in non NCP as in NCP it is never black but a kind of very dark grey.

Natural thread is ok without CP but some colours on some blanks will look like mud. If you want snap crackle and pop then natural thread and CP can give you that. If you are very new CP can give you nice head aches to deal with to. LOL. Just do some reading around here and on other boards regarding CP issues. NCP looks to some a little flat apply it well and it looks darned good but very conservitavely so.

Mike