Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bucktail

Fuji Surf Guides

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hi Al,

I will be building 2 XRA1204 rods in the near future. I will be asking you about guide placement and grip lengths at a later time. However for now I would like your help in selecting guide material and sizes for pricing purposes. I already know to use an SIC tip from reading prior threads. Is it better to use SIC top to bottom, or isn't that necessary. I notice Hardloy is listed as high frame while SIC is not. I wonder why? I would appreciate your shedding some light on this.I would also like your thoughts on Concept guides and this new material Alconite.

Thanks. I look forward to meeting you on 2/09

Frank

Frank,

Fuji make both SIC and Hardaloy in the high-frame surf spinning guides. Both are excellent guides and will stand up to both mono and braided lines. While SIC is significantly more costly, the rings are slicker. How much advantage that is in increased casting distance is questionable.

Alconite is a new ceramic material being introduced by Fuji. I have not used it since it does not come in a heavy enough frame for the type of fishing I do. The alconite rings are much thinner than either SIC or Hardaloy and probably would work well on lighter rods requiring less guide weight. However, for surf rods I would stick with either Hardaloy or SIC.

Al,

Thank You for your input.I will go with Hardloy. I believe the sizing should be (40HH) (30H) (25H) (25M) (20M) is this correct?I will ask your advice on placement later.

Thanks Again

Frank

Are those guide sizes for a spinning set-up?

I am getting ready to wrap a GSB 120 1L. Will those guides work for this rod as well? If not what do you recommend? Thanks for your help.

------------------

tight lines,

BASSHOLL

BH,

That guide set up is for spinning and would be excellent for a GSB1201L.

I just returned from the Nassau Show and there was quite a turnout of SOL members: Crazy Al, Mike Lang, Big Country, Fishweewee and Surfpirate. Some Crew!!!

Al

Al.

I'm a goog when it comes to rod building!! What does the HH, H or M mean after the guide size? Does it have to do with frame height? Thanks for your help.