Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
palmerrod

Rodcrafters' and other info please

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I'm just returning to rod building after a few years' layoff. In fact, I'm REALLY returning since last night at a neighbor's cookout I promised to build a rod for a friend's dad for Fathers' Day!

So I have a few of questions:

Does Rodcrafters' Associates still exist? Contact info please?

Whatever happened to Dale Clemens Tackle in Allentown, Pa? To whom would it be best to turn now for supplies and blanks? (I do have a legally licensed business and a sales-tax collection number.)

Does Reed Tackle in New Jersey still exist? If not, anyone know about the Australian-made fiberglass blanks they used to sell? Any source?

Did it for years - gonna be interesting "coming back"!

Thanks for any info. Great site.

Craig

Rodcrafters still exists but Clemens went out of business two years ago.

Don't know Reed.

RodCrafters

1797 Chapel Av

Allentown PA 18103

$20 Annual membership

Just had their National Convention last month in Allentown. Dick French (posts here now and then)has started a new business there that has much of the original Clemens stuff.

Steve

Dick French who once owned Clemens now has C&G Tackle Outlet in Perkasie Pa.

Reeds was last seen in Marshalls Creek Pa. but I think he has retired from the business since last time I talked with him he said that he was going to and his store is no longer there.

You must have been out of rodbuilding for a while because Reeds hasn't been in NJ in ages.

If he's out there somewhere send me an e-mail as I'd like to get some more rotoblades from him.

KenM

Well, I tally up about 16 years I've been "out" now.

Actually I've finished up some rods I had in stock, did a lot of repairs and rebuilds, and used up what "stuff" I had that was still good. But not as a "pro".

I dropped the business due to family, career, and burnout. Last few months I've been searching for the "missing pieces". Never was happier I guess than when I was building rods, except maybe fishing.

Reed had some gorgeous, VERY heavy-walled glass blanks that made some fine musky rods. I built a mess of them. The color was usually deep maroon. They were outsatanding with dark cherry reel seat inserts on the lighter rods.

One hangs over my desk right now that I built in about 1980. I did everything wrong with it I can think of, and still landed many a musky - some over 30# with it.

Ah well, old times, people past. Many, MANY a whiskey down the tube since those days.

Thanks for all the info. Being an "old dog" and knowing none of the young snots today know a thing at all, (that's a JOKE folks!) I'll be around as a pain-in-the-butt a bit. I already know how to do everything wrong, so I can at least opine upon that.

Craig

Palmer - get me more information on those Australian blanks, like the name of them. I might be able to track them down with some more help. If you're not sure, I'll give it a go with the info you just posted.

Reed tackle, didn't think anybody still remembered them. They used to in Fairfield now the building is a custom motorcycle shop. Back in the 80's I built 5'5" 5wt glass fly rod for spring creek fishing, still have it. I was told by one worker that they had manufactured all the blanks themselves in the US?

I don't know if there is a link to Reed but Snyder Glas is the only Australian company I know of that still exists.

Craig,

You might try this mailing address for Reed Tackle.

Box 1250,Marshalls Creek,Pa. 18335

Phone# 717-223-1434

I don't think the phone number will work but I haven't tried it.He may still carry the PO box # though.

I looked thru the last catalog he put out (1989)and it's a little confusing on which blanks are graphite and which are fiberglass but everything is "Reed-Flex or Reed Classic"

If you give me some more info (length ,# of pieces,ect.)I may be able to come up with the specs.

Ken M

[ 04-21-2004, 01:54 AM: Message edited by: KenM ]

Ken,

The notes I kept list one blank, a 6'6" 1pc casting/spinning blank I used a lot for musky rods (I always wanted to try it as a harbor/bay/canal rod in the FL panhandle with some poppers)is CS-22H. I think the last I ordered of it might have been about 1986.

Like a fool, I never kept notes on specs and dimensions. I know from the notes though that untrimmed, the tip was 8/64.

The spec lure weight range was 1/2oz to 1 1/2oz.

Finished I know my casting rods handled 2oz just fine with 30# mono.

Craig,

That blank is missing from the 1989 catalog.

The list goes from CS20MHW to CS23H with a blank space between them where the blank you have was probably listed at one time but was removed.

Looks like you may be out of luck with that blank even if you do locate Reeds.

KenM

Well have another, then. Merrick's done great by me for many many years, even going way back to when they still had a retail operation and they're still tops in my book.

I've had good service from Merrick!! Also, Mudhole has given me EXCELLANT service and carry a large lineup. Not to many backorders either

They sell wholsesale and retail

Mike.

I've asked Mudhole for a catalog and visited their site. I'll check in with Merrick. What do they need for proof of "retail"? Business license, sales-tax collection certificate?

I'm going to post a thread later - probably tomorrow as time plays out now - about business options for "professional" rod builders these days. I know how I USED to do it, but times have obviously changed.

(I've always known there to be "Professional rod-builders and also those who sell rods. Often one can be both!)

Thanks for all the help so far.

Craig