Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rich L

Considering building a rod

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

I may finally be ready to take the plunge this winter. I generally fish the inlets on Long Island's north shore, and for the past two seasons, I have used and still love my 9 foot Team Daiwa. It's light, sensitive, and has hauled in everything I've hooked, the largest being a 38" striper. The only thing I'd like to change is to a slightly faster action, as this rod is a bit whippy, and although it's rated 1-5 oz., it really overloads on 2 and change. I throw mostly 2 oz. and under, but want a bit more zip on casts. My reel is a Team Daiwa 4000, and I use 30 lb Stealth. I'm considering the Ron Arra 1083 or 1084 blanks or the St. Croix ASRS90M, the Avid blank. First of all, does anyone have any opinions on which of these blanks would be appropriate, whether they're too light or too heavy for what I want, and also, can someone recommend some local sources on Long Island. I know Sea Isle in Freeport has the 1083.

Although your first rod will be great, your second and third rods will be even better smile.gif

I would suggest you start with a less expensive blank like a Rainshadow 1088 for your first.

Just a thot

gad