Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thumb-Burner

spinning or conventional, i can't decide

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

just ordered a lami perigee PSH 1082mh blank.. it's the steelhead line, 9' rated from 1/2 to 1 1/2.. 6 tip and about .55 butt if i recall...

i want it for casting small metals, plugs (mirrolures and rattletraps and maybe some small swimmers) and leadheads from the beach for trout, stipers, small drum etc....

I really want to make it a conventional since i do not care for spinning at all... however, assuming it's as nice of a blank as i think it will be, i don't want to have it built that way and not be able to use it well...

some say spinning is the only way to go at these weights... but i really strongly prefer conventional both for casting purposes and for working the lure...

thoughts? what is the consensus of the experts about a "dual purpose" rod (bad i'm guessing)

anyone have experience with this particular blank?

thanks in advance.

------------------

I may be small... But I'm slow!!

The blank is very sweet. Many would say that spinning is the way to go casting lures less than 1 ounce. I would have to agree since you are planning to cast from the beach and getting good distance is important.

That being said, I am a conventional caster and cast 3/4-1 ounce lures from the boat using a Calcutta reel. Distance is not an issue for me since I can get the boat relatively close to the fish. Fishing from the beach is another matter. If you are a good conventional caster than go for it. If reaching out far is a critical factor than set it up for spinning.

Al

now i've got to figure out how to answer that "if you are a good conventional caster question" and i'll be set!

thanks al.. good insight as always.

while you're at it, could you comment on the PSB1142M perigee blank.. got one or so of them coming too...

someone on an old thread tipped me off to some on clearance...

thanks

------------------

I may be small... But I'm slow!!

TB,

Another point that should be address is whether you will be fishing mostly in daylight or at night. If I am doing alot of dusk, dawn and night light tackle casting I prefer to use spinning to eliminate backlashes.

I am not familiar with the PSB1142M. However, from it's model number it's 9.5 feet, 2 piece and probably rated close to 1-3 ounces. It should make up into a sweet plugging rod.

I have used conventionals for almost all of my saltwater fishing including down to 3/8 oz leadheads. I think conventional works well at those lower weights. I even think that you can get better distance with a conventional at that weight than you can with a spinner. (Though, that might not ring true if someone is using a spinner with braid).

Tom

I fish conventional on almost everything. In comparison to most fisherman I see , I'm pretty good with the conventional (not a world champ but better than most). That said , the only rod I fish spinner these days is my steelhead rod for light lures! That's how I'd go with your new rod.

What does 1204/1205 refer to? Would this be a good blank for a 6500 type reel?

------------------

AMMODYTE(@>

(The angler FORMERLY known as "Flounder").