yogiiiboy

Photos of Fish caught on Sluggos, Hogys and Swim Shads

Rate this topic

149 posts in this topic

I prefer any rod between 7-9' with a rating of 1-2 or 1-3 oz. the rod I use for the 12" Sluggos is a 9 1/2 foot rated 1-3. Anything over that is just too much to work a Sluggo.
Mon-

How far out can you get them Sluggos when you're out front? Again, I believe you said you use the tandem set up....correct?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGreen View Post

Do u guys hold the rod between the legs or parallel to the water? Or some of both?

Would not suggest first option for obvious reasons....and some and some depending how tired my arms are, wether I am drifting across a rip, crawling bottom, up current , down current, etc.

anyone care to share their experience with casting distance from the beach on a sluggo depending on how you have it rigged? Please share the rod length and rating too please.......

Sluggos or Hogys (hogys weigh a bit more & cast further). In the spring I usually (actually "used to" since I am now in Denver) & with a 11' Cabelas Predator rod (old one that was rated for 1.75 lb (lures max up to 2oz) not the heavier one which is still available) using a weighted (solder) long shank 80 or 6/0 SW hook, I got pretty good distance. Say 75 yds.

Early season, Monarca, huntforblues, and myself always use soft plastics. Unfortunately, I don't take many pictures early season cause "most" fish are hold overs and don't carry much weight. I usually will put soft plastics away once bluefish start to show. However, I fish the canal constantly with soft plastics and with my custom jig heads. Soft plastics should always be in your surf bag. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogiiiboy View Post

is that an Arkansas Shiner Sluggo i see here ??

yep!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepKona View Post

Man-o-Man.....I truly loved seeing that older "Green Penn" reel in your arsenal yogiiiboy.....fond memories of early days of fishing with my Dad(who still fishes if I take him someplace close).

Solid workhorse of a reel made to last and little frills....caught you a striper with it too....awesome...!!!

Mahalos,

I think that was my Penn you were looking at (with the backpack and the blond Lami) I love that old Penn and rod especially with sluggos.....reel once twitch once, reel once twitch twice, super slow WHAM!

:^)

I pretty much always have white 12" sluggos when I go out. They have outfished everything else I have thrown the last 2 seasons. This fish was taken on a 9" black/red sluggo.

HS-

How do you rig those white 12" sluggos ?? Nice fish....

HS-

How do you rig those white 12" sluggos ?? Nice fish....

Yogi,

I assume you've seen Skinner's video on rigging/fishing a 9 inch Sluggo. If not, you should check it out.

Yogi,

I assume you've seen Skinner's video on rigging/fishing a 9 inch Sluggo. If not, you should check it out.

I've seen them all........trying to get a feel as to the many different ways guys are fishing them and their techniques...........Personally, when i'm casting from the surf, i like to use a wobblehead to incorporate the serpentine wiggle.......