Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ahab7

Extending the Butt

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Have a Conoflex Sorcerer I, 10 ft, 3/4 to 1 3/4 oz and a Sorcerer II, 1 to 3 oz. Both with conventional, trigger reel seats. Factory seats are set approximately 3 inches closer to the end than I like. Can I extend the butt of these rods without too much change in action? If yes, what it the best way to do this? Wondered is there was a collasible butt extension I could instert into the blank. Pull out to cast, push in to fight fish. Thanks

Ahab,

It's quite easy to extend a butt and it does not change the rod's action by very much, if at all.

As far as a collapsible extension butt, I do know they have them for fly rods and you probably could adapt it to a conventional. My recommendation though, would be to attach a permanent extension piece by epoxy gluing it into the butt and then covering the extension with grip material.

Al

Al - how would you cover teh junction if you were going to use cork tape. i aksed this here a little while ago and was told build it up with tape and epoxy, then cork tape over that.

I have suggested the pull out push in butt to more than one rod manufacturer. So far they say that it would be a good idea but too expensive.

The one for flyrods was made by a company called REC. They still run an ad or two.