Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saltheart

Big Rodbuilding meet in Allentown?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hi Al,

Could you give us some info on the big gathering in Allentown this winter. I'm hoping to go and would like to start planning. When , where , fee for whole show , where do you stay, dinners or banquets or side shows?? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Saltheart

Bruce,

The National Rodcrafters Seminar will be held in Allentown on the last weekend in march, 2002. It is two full days of talks and demos on all aspects of rodbuilding.

It will be held at the Sheraton Jetport Hotel opposite the Allentown airport. A block of rooms will be reserved. The sewminar fee is approximately $150 and includes lunches and refreshment breaks both days.

In addition to the seminar there will be a huge fleamarket of blanks and other rodbuilding goodies at great prices.

Since this is your first National, bring a notebook and stick close to me so I can direct you to some of the top builders that will be there. Most of them will have a table to display their work which is awesome.

Please bring some examples of your work since it helps to look at them and understand the level of your expertise. We all learn together through sharing. That is the founding principle of Rodcrafters.

I am sure Billy 40 will add his perspective to the National seminar and the one regional he has been to.

Al

Thanks Al,

Sounds like fun. Right now I'm like the karate kid. I don't know much but what I know I know pretty good. Hope to learn lots more at the show.

Thanks Again

Saltheart

Mike White

Where's Billy????

If anyone has an opinion of their first seminar he does.

After being at them for the last 25 years, it's still like walking under a waterfall with a tin cup.

I was busy making plans for the Tog - lol.

GO. There is so much going on, you cannot believe it. Bring a list of questions, and ask away. Bring rods too - the best thing is for one of these pro's to come over and take a look and say - do this and this and it will improve performance because of this. I had Don Morton look over one of my rods which were spiral wrapped, and he had like 3 things I could improve on. Never could be done over teh phone or on the net.

Get there early on Friday, which is a great big BS session. You walk around, looking at rods, asking how'd you do this, what is that, oh my God that is AWESOME. Keep that pen and paper handy and write down eeverything, because there is so much going on you'll forget half of it. Almost all the BS is about Rodbuilding, past and present.

Here is what I remember about Friday night last year. Met 3 guys from Florida: Pat Vinczant, Curt Baker, and John Britt (roddesigner) Instantly, I was flooded with info about computer generated inscriptions. They also spoke to me about their rod building club which meets once or twice a month. Pat - had the coolest feather inlays - he manipulated teh feathers to look like one big fish chasing a smaller fish - on the rod. He also had some neat screw off tennessee handles, as well as a spiral wrap on a Cape Fear blank.

Don Morton spent about 1 1/2 hours telling about 10 guys how he sets up his spiral wrapped rods, using my rod as an exapmple. That alone was worth the $$$ of the seminar. Spoke with and saw pictures of Chris Ward, who is from England, who told about 3 of us about his 40 foot long Carp rods - no typo, 40 foot!!! He also spoke to me about a prototype reel seat insert made of a special clear material, with a fly in the middle of it.

When everyone went out to eat dinner, I sat for like another 1 1/2 hours walking around taking notes, writing down color schemes, and poring through 2 huge notebooks that Cam Clark had. When people returned, I had some specific questions I could ask rodbuilders due to the notes I took.

DId I mention - GO. Al - I am pretty sure I will go to the Guild Conclave on the weekend of the 12th.

Billy

[This message has been edited by Billy 40 (edited 11-19-2001).]

Got to throw in my two cents worth,been to all the rodcrafter seminars in Florida over the last 10 years but one,been to all the conclaves and attended the first national last year hope to attend again this year, to someone attending for the first time the national may seem to be a bit overwhelming so many topics to cover etc.I like to get to the seminars the day before ,register you will receive a summary of what is being covered,go through the itenarary and decide what interest you the most and concentrate on those items.One other thought often missed when discussing the seminars and Billy touched on it briefly,while the demos and discussions that are planed are well executed it is often the in-between times that will lead to your best info and tips.A two minute conversation with another builder will often lead to solving some of your problems,in addition there are numerous displays of rods available and the owners of these beauties will glady share the info on how they built them different components, threads etc.

Now if I can only get Billy to keep better track of all his notes,maybe the future Mrs. can help.

John