Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gilbey

Required Reading?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I see the book "Custome Thread Art" by Clemens mentioned a couple times. What other books/guides would you suggest for the beginning rod builder? Thankssmile.gif!

Alan

Hey Gilbey,

Check out:

"ROD BUILDING GUIDE: Fly, Spinning, Casting, Trolling" By Tom Kirkman

"ADVANCED CUSTOM ROD BUILDING"

By Dale Clemens

I also bought a rod building video called "HOW TO BUILD CUSTOM RODS STEP BY STEP" by Artie Hebert

The video isnt necessary, but it did help me a bit. I bought the Tom Kikman book and the Artie Hebert video from Mudhole.

Hope this helps.

John

Gil - it depends on how in depth you want to go. Tom K's book is good, it will give you all the basics on A-Z to build a rod. THere are some advanced techniques discussed, but the main focus on teh book was to give us a solid background on wrapping a rod. TEH chapters on Epoxy, and setting up a Spinner and Conventional/Spiral wrap are very good and up to date.

The Clemens book is a better choice for me. While some of the info is a bit outdated, it is pretty much the "Bible" of rodbuilding. CUstom handles, reel seats, building tools, etc - all good stuff for me.

Tom Kirkman's book is a good read on rod building. Well written and lots of good explanations.

I check mine out of the local library.

[This message has been edited by DANe (edited 04-14-2003).]

I am fairly new to rodbuilding.When I resolved that I really wanted to learn how to build rods I got the Kirkman book,which is very good and easy to follow.The best collection of information I have found,though,is right here in the "Ask Al Goldberg" archives.I read thru a couple pages at a time and really felt like all of my questions about the craft had been addressed by the time I got thru with all the pages.I think the SOL archives are the best rodbuilding "book" avaliable.Mr.Goldberg made one heck of a contribution to rodbuilders here.There is a lot of info there,but it seems to me that the experience of actually wrapping and finishing rods and ordering components and setting up a work station is turning out to be the key to learning how to make fishin rods.

I started out reading the Flexcoat booklet and then the Clemens book and then the thread art book. I want to get Tom Kirkman's book too. I get an email from him on occasion and its always good stuff. Mudhole has it?