Allejo

Can't find an all metal 440ss

14 posts in this topic

Why is the all metal 440ss so hard to find. It seems like all I see is the graphite version. Did people skip the 440 and go with either the 430 and 450 instead or is the 440 just that good people won't get rid of them?

I've never held one but they exist. http://store.*************/PennParts/ReelSpecs/PennSS.aspx#specs.

It seems they started out as the 440ss then a 440ss Graphite model as introduced. The 440ss all metal body was discontinued and the 440ss Graphite was replaced by the 4400ss which was also graphite. Eventually, the 4400ss was replaced by the 440ssg which is graphite and is the current version.

The real confusion for me comes with the 440ss Graphite model because it shares the same body style of the 450ss which is all metal. Recently, there was a 440ss listed on ebay. I almost bid for it because the word graphite was not on the side of the reel as it should be. I believe the spool was labeled 440ss but made no indication of being graphite, the foot said made in the USA and had a two piece handle. The spool could have been from the original all metal 440ss but I don't know for sure as the 440ss, 440ss Graphite, 4400ss and 440ssg have interchangeable spools.

I've never held one but they exist. http://store.*************/PennParts/ReelSpecs/PennSS.aspx#specs.

It seems they started out as the 440ss then a 440ss Graphite model as introduced. The 440ss all metal body was discontinued and the 440ss Graphite was replaced by the 4400ss which was also graphite. Eventually, the 4400ss was replaced by the 440ssg which is graphite and is the current version.

The real confusion for me comes with the 440ss Graphite model because it shares the same body style of the 450ss which is all metal. Recently, there was a 440ss listed on ebay. I almost bid for it because the word graphite was not on the side of the reel as it should be. I believe the spool was labeled 440ss but made no indication of being graphite, the foot said made in the USA and had a two piece handle. The spool could have been from the original all metal 440ss but I don't know for sure as the 440ss, 440ss Graphite, 4400ss and 440ssg have interchangeable spools.

Allejo,

I spent a good amount of time researching this. Our catalogs show that in 1986 model # 440SS did not exist, see next 2 pictures from our 1986 catalog:

Here is the following year's catalog, 1987. Model # 440SS made it's debut this year as a graphite reel. A few years later it was re-named 4400SS. Our records never ofiicially show a 440SS as all metal, but that doesn't mean it never happened. It may have been a short run and quickly changed to graphite.

Here are 3 pics from 1987 catalog:

tony

Wow, thanks for taking the time to research it! Redfin, it sounds like your were right. Good call!

I was just going by picture on the Penn Parts site. They have a 440ss listed as being in the 2nd generation and has the same body style as the 420, 430, and 450.

So maybe it was a very limited run and they  weren't sold or something. That would certainly explain why I don't see them anywhere and if someone has one they probably aren't letting it out of their collection. Pretty interesting stuff. I imagine with the company changing hands a bunch of times stuff gets lost or forgotten. I guess I can stop trying to find a all metal version. Thanks again!

Wow, thanks for taking the time to research it! Redfin, it sounds like your were right. Good call!

I was just going by picture on the Penn Parts site. They have a 440ss listed as being in the 2nd generation and has the same body style as the 420, 430, and 450.

So maybe it was a very limited run and they  weren't sold or something. That would certainly explain why I don't see them anywhere and if someone has one they probably aren't letting it out of their collection. Pretty interesting stuff. I imagine with the company changing hands a bunch of times stuff gets lost or forgotten. I guess I can stop trying to find a all metal version. Thanks again!

You are welcome, if you do find one post some pics.

tony

Yes someone said it has the same body style as 420ss,430ss, 450ss. When i look i my reals the 450ss body is different from the 420ss & 430ss. I'm wondering what the 440ss body style in the all metal version looks like and if it exists? Also wondering if a 950ss metal exists?

I really wish Penn DID make an all metal 440SS. It' be a sweet little reel. It's so weird Scott's has a pic of one or at least a pic of what is supposed to/looks like one. Regardless, I bought graphite 440 to try and complete the line up. 

Hey guys

Just purchased a brand new 440 SS graphite spinfisher reel.

Both 420 and 430 SS from the 2 nd generation had the same body shape. The 450 ss was same as the 550 SS. The pics I've seen of a metal 440 SS had the same shape as the 420 & 430 SS ..no mistake there !

Never seen a 440 metal on eBay ever. I'm a collector of both 2nd and 3rd generation Spinfisher reels. This new 440 graphite I just purchased from Europe comes with a new box, extra spool all in mint condition, all stamped made in USA. It has the epoxy side badge like the 4400 SS ,but when it was released in 1988, I think it was released with a metal badge like all 2nd generation reels.

Anyway I'll post it on YouTube soon .