Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wellstep

Any word on Albies?

Rate this topic

174 posts in this topic

All this talk of 'they're late', I checked my logs from last year and I got my first rhody/SoCo albie of the season (from shore) on 9/17, and recall the word of 'the big push' was only 2 or 3 days prior to that - which is what prompted me to hit the highway and score that first successful trip (actually I only caught one that day, so 'successful' is definitely subjective in this case...LOL)

Yeah man. I was down there last year when they showed up. I was down jude for the week on an off season vacation in sept. It was the first week of Sept. I spent the first half of the week out there on the rocks with ZERO indication of any funny fish. I talked to all the hard core albie guys that I see down there scouting every year and they all said that there was nothing around yet.

I think it was a Wednesday then.... BOOM!!! they were all up and down the rocks for the rest of the week. I was told that I was the first guy to hook up that year so it was pretty awesome, then it was action for the rest of the week.

I think Im gonna get down there this weekend. Got a good feeling about it. Its definitely a few week later than the arrival from last year but its only a matter of time. I gotta get back down there.

Got a week long vaca down there first week of October this year. Fingers crossed for that week too.

Yeah man. I was down there last year when they showed up. I was down jude for the week on an off season vacation in sept. It was the first week of Sept. I spent the first half of the week out there on the rocks with ZERO indication of any funny fish. I talked to all the hard core albie guys that I see down there scouting every year and they all said that there was nothing around yet.

I think it was a Wednesday then.... BOOM!!! they were all up and down the rocks for the rest of the week. I was told that I was the first guy to hook up that year so it was pretty awesome, then it was action for the rest of the week.

I think Im gonna get down there this weekend. Got a good feeling about it. Its definitely a few week later than the arrival from last year but its only a matter of time. I gotta get back down there.

Got a week long vaca down there first week of October this year. Fingers crossed for that week too.

More often than not, they show up all of a sudden and not gradually. Any day now.

-bd

Quote:

Originally Posted by boneman View Post

Sharpen your hooks, the full moon is next week.

This is probably going to sound like a stupid question, but I cant be the only one in the dark on it... What does the moon have to do with fish activity? I know that it effects tide height and probably some bait fish patterns, but honestly, I am kind of ignorant on the subject and would really like to know the relevance. Thanks in advance!

I am probably heading down to the WW this Saturday hoping for "the arrival"!

I will report back if I come across any of those funny little beasts...

This is probably going to sound like a stupid question, but I cant be the only one in the dark on it... What does the moon have to do with fish activity? I know that it effects tide height and probably some bait fish patterns, but honestly, I am kind of ignorant on the subject and would really like to know the relevance. Thanks in advance!

I am probably heading down to the WW this Saturday hoping for "the arrival"!

I will report back if I come across any of those funny little beasts...

The moon tides push help push more water in and out of estuaries (and with that, a greater amount of bait)....supposedly this helps, but not always. Of course it also creates higher and lower tides along beaches (and everywhere else) but I believe it's the first point that makes the biggest difference

Quote:

Originally Posted by albacized View Post

The moon tides push help push more water in and out of estuaries (and with that, a greater amount of bait)....supposedly this helps, but not always. Of course it also creates higher and lower tides along beaches (and everywhere else) but I believe it's the first point that makes the biggest difference

Thanks for the reply... You know what though? I have found one thing over the years that holds true more than any other factor........................ "If the fish are there, they are there"

Low tide, high tide, slack tide, full moon, no moon, tuesday, friday, rain, shine.... When they are there, they are there.

Thanks again though for the reply!

Im heading down this weekend and hoping "they are there!"

Low tide, high tide, slack tide, full moon, no moon, tuesday, friday, rain, shine.... When they are there, they are there.

I would disagree.

You can say when they are there they are there... true enough...

but i would also say when they are not there... they are somewhere else.

they key to being a consistently successful fisherman is knowing where fish will be under which conditions. the effect of moon, tide, wind, weather all play an effect.

don't get me wrong, there is always an element of luck. sometimes the fish just aren't eating. but there are guys that are dialed into how conditions effect feeding location, and those guys consistently catch fish. I am not saying I am one of those guys, but I know a few that are.