Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wellstep

Any word on Albies?

Rate this topic

174 posts in this topic

My first Albie was in June 2004 on MV. It hit a whole squid fished on a steel leader for blues, off a rented rod. I was their with some other kids from summer school as a school trip. Also landed a small sand tiger that day.

Ive been putting off heading down to jude until there is some word that they are running through the area. I cant wait to get down there and hook up though.

I was on vacation down there last Sept in a location with a good view of block island. I go down there several times a year. Anyways, last year, first week of sept, sun, mon, tues... No sign of the funny fish and everyone I ran into had not seen them at all yet (This was last fall). Wednesday hits and I was the first one with a fish on. They were blitzing all up and down the WW for the rest of the week and I hooked up with a lot of them last year during that week.

I have not been down since August (this year) and am still waiting for the word that they have arrived. Tons of schoolies in the surf this summer on that beach though... I must have caught about 130 through out the summer. There were nights I got well over 40 bass out of the surf on a deadly dick with a bucktail...

Cant wait for the albies to arrive though. Might go down and camp in the jeep next weekend.... Any time now!

Was out on Friday and was able to pick up a Bonito off of another breach way a little more to the West. There were some breaks that were definitely not blues. But no birds over them and I am talking like 10 seconds on the surface the Bonito was picked up in an area of the breaks but well after on a blind case with Deadly Dick. Also the other thing that surprised me is the Bonito actually puked up some whole squid about 2-3 long.

The interesting thing I saw was Saturday, headed down towards Narragansett Town Beach area and 2 miles off scarborough ran into a pod of dolphins probably about 50 that was the first time I had seen them that close in and looked like they were feeding on something at one point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellstep View Post

Was out on Friday and was able to pick up a Bonito off of another breach way a little more to the West. There were some breaks that were definitely not blues. But no birds over them and I am talking like 10 seconds on the surface the Bonito was picked up in an area of the breaks but well after on a blind case with Deadly Dick. Also the other thing that surprised me is the Bonito actually puked up some whole squid about 2-3 long.

The interesting thing I saw was Saturday, headed down towards Narragansett Town Beach area and 2 miles off scarborough ran into a pod of dolphins probably about 50 that was the first time I had seen them that close in and looked like they were feeding on something at one point.

Thats awesome. I have actually never caught a bonito. I vacation in Jerusalem every year (Sometimes twice a year) and always get a lot of albies in the fall. Its such a blast! I must put in 50 hours worth of fishing when im down there for a week. I love it. Anyways, were you out on a boat when you caught your tuna and saw the dolphins or on shore? Either way, its good to hear that there is fish in the ocean!!! Cant wait till they roll into casting range from the rocks!

I have a week booked down there for the first full week in October this year. I cant wait. Im hoping for a lot of albie action this year and it would be nice to pull out a few keeper stripers too for the grill.

logged some boat hours over the weekend. not a sign of breaking fish at all, but it seemed plenty bait in the water. caught bass/blues just no funny fish in sight. narragansett to newport.

logged some boat hours over the weekend. not a sign of breaking fish at all, but it seemed plenty bait in the water. caught bass/blues just no funny fish in sight. narragansett to newport.

'Chovies or some other type of bait