Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
charlietuna

H Surf Blanks & Good Rod Paint

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

Jeez I love this site. Al and others, I need some help. Two questions below:

SURF BLANK

I want to build a conventional surf stick for stripers and redfish, greater than 12', casting weights in the 4-10 oz. approx range. I also prefer a two piece, as I have snapped off tips on tree branches before while in the rod rack. Is it impossible to get a Moderate action blank? I checked out Angler's Workshop and Cabelas, and only Lamiglas offers something like what I want, but action is moderate-fast. That makes for a thicker blank, which I'm trying to avoid.

Anybody have a recomendation for a blank mfgr and source point?

Rod Paint for Fiberglass

I have an old fiberglass surf rod that I refinished already once. I love its action, and for sentimental reasons, will not part with it. Within one year, the paint I used on the blank chipped away in a number of places. I hear that epoxy paint is better for rods, and I also hear that some people will coat their entire rods with the two part resin systems. What is the board's consensus?

Thanks All!

Lamiglas had a 14 footer last week that was a closeout for 91 bucks. Pretty tough to beat. Also check out Rainshadows line very nice blanks, with a wide range of lengths and actions.