Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Casey

Grips feedback

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Al suggests that I try "Flocked Cork Grips" as an improvement over the Korkalon I had inquired about. I'm ignorant on this stuff and its pros and cons, so .... would this esteemed group offer their experiences and opinions on these grips and their own preferences. Consider both plugging and heaving (rods , that is).

Flocked grips have been used for years on offshore rods as well as leather grips, they wear very well but might feel a little odd at first, they use to be available in a few different colors although lately all I have seen is black. Be aware that there are some low cost ones around that will not hold up to well,check with Al regarding the best source of supply.There is also a new leather grip available from Australia,that can be gluded unto cork or directly to the blank similar to cork tape but a much higher quality.

John

To save some typing...from my reply to a similar question back in August:

It's a grip material originally found exclusively as foregrips on custom offshore trolling rods although now showing up, and used to fine effect, on inshore tackle. At it's heart is a typical glued-up grip, fashioned from the usual cork rings. This core material is then coated with a high grade of epoxy, into which short, fine, colored nylon fibers are imbedded in an electrostatic process.

Upsides... great looking, durable, resists stains, non-slippery, and - as any foregrip ought to be - solidly firm.

Downsides... only a couple; it's pretty pricey, only available in limited i.d. / o.d. combinations, and you need, of course, to work very carefully to ream them, dead-centered, to fit your particular blank.