Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sandflee

St Croix (no faith)

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

well against the advice of a friend i bought a St Croix 10'6" 2 piece Graphite Conv, surf stick rated for 4-8oz. everything was nice about it until i actually casted it, 3 ounces and a chunk not even a head.. Crack the blank split like bamboo in the middle. just after the rod loaded and was onto it's foward bend.

so figuring this was a defect in the blank i went to the tacle shop and they gladly exchanged the rod for another, went out last night 1st cast, 3 ounces and a chunk (testing on N/S of long island) heard a crack, second cast same deal rod folded like a piece of paper and busted about between the first and second guide from the butt section.... okay i know how to cast, ive never busted a rod in my life, and this rod was nowhere near stressed, my question is has anyone esle busted these twigs? or is it just me, or a terrible defect batch of rods, at this point i no longer want a croix, i cant trust it and have NO FAITH

[ 04-28-2004, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Sandflee ]

That sux! I own the same rod in a spinner and have used iot for 4 years throwing 8nbait and it's always performed flawlessly. Sounds like a bad bunch to me. I would avoid the dealer and contact St. Croix on your own. In the mean time, buy a lami. wink.gif

ErikT

PLEASE dont' attack me here.. But is there any possibility that the way you are transporting the rods is somehow damaging the blank?

I've casted one of those bad boys with up to 10 oz and it just smiles..

well the first one i had for 2 days, casted maybe 3 times, and yes extremely careful on transport, i treated it like a baby... then the second one i got a few days ago and it busted on it's second cast, brand new out of the bag same deal treated it with respect, after i broke that one i rigged up my penn power stick 7' with a head and 4 ounces, rods 10 years old and can probaly toss a cinderblock w/o shattering, yes it's fiberglass and maybe thats the difference, but at this point i cant see myself buying bunker, tackle, gas ect walking half a mile and usin a stick that to me is worthless. i assume it has to be a bad batch but i'm feeling very discouraged, and to the point maybe i should go for a glass blank. i just liked the 2 piece for easy transport. but splintering on 3ounce and a head? w/o really loading the puppy? not sure what to do...any suggestions?

Sandflee,

This is most certainly a bad batch of rods. Did you get one of their new lines of rods? Just curious, mine is a 4 year old Ben Doer.. It's a beefy friggen stick lemme tellya.. I can't ever see if cracking unless there was a break or a crack to begin with.

The fact that yours broke on 3 oz is even more convincing that it was a faulty rod to begin with. If it broke on 8 or 10 oz I would possibly blame the rod not handling the weight..

Personally, I would try and get in touch with St. Croix directly or go back to the shop and have them order a new one from St. Croix instead of giving you one from their display of faulty rods! wink.gif

Goodluck!

ErikT

Did the same thing with my Ben Doer 2 seasons ago. 2 oz and a clam - went off like a gunshot right below the ferrule, midcast.

Replaced it with a Star Nickelite and never looked back.

Is there any chance you may be casting "wrong". If you used a glass stick for 10 years, is there a chance you were casting "wrong" the whole time, but the forgiveness of Glass let you get away with it?

I'm not trying to blame you, but there is a chance if you are snap casting &/or doing some funky herky jerk cast, it may be putting a sharp point in the blank causing it to fail.

Since Erik responded, and has the same exact SC, and he just got the Lami 1364M you're looking for, ask him what he thinks of the 2.

Replaced it with a Star Nickelite and never looked back.

Yet another rod I own but in a spinner. What an awesome stick. But the Heaviest Star Rod rated to 8 oz will not handle what the St. Croix has handled. I say the max for the Star is 6 ounces and a head MAX. But that's a spinner maybe the conventional feels a little stronger.

As for the glass rod, the 1364m is one awesome rod. the glass matched with a 332 newell is lighter then the st. croix matched to a 7500 Nautil believe it or not. I love the Lami and it will forever more be my chunking stick for 6oz through 12oz with 10 being the sweet spot IMHO.

One note, I have loaded the ST. Croix up with a lot of weight but because it's a spinner and I value my fingers I have never really layed into it and that may be a reason why it has lasted. For now, it's gonne be designated to throwing 4-7oz fixter pikies. cwm12.gif

ErikT

Billy40 with all due respect, been fishing 25 years, never busted a rod whether it be glass/or graphite spinner conventional, or flyrod. i know how to properly load a rod and not be jerky with it, when i say i put nothing behind this stick, not even a 1/2 the power i would normally use and it snapped like it was made of plastic.... brought it back to the tackle store, money back no problem,,, the walls on that rod a unbelievably thin.... IMHO im done w/ croix forever...

Is there any chance you may be casting "wrong". If you used a glass stick for 10 years, is there a chance you were casting "wrong" the whole time, but the forgiveness of Glass let you get away with it?

I'm not trying to blame you, but there is a chance if you are snap casting &/or doing some funky herky jerk cast, it may be putting a sharp point in the blank causing it to fail.

Possible but unlikely. I don't know about Sandflea but I've been throwing conventional since I was a kid and never had a rod snap midcast before.

About the time I broke mine there was a rash of posts here compaining of the same rod snapping in the same place (right below the ferrule). IMHO it's obviously a weak spot in the design.

Sandflee - I was afraid that was the case. I'm sorry to bring that up, but I only mentioned it because it was a possibility that could've caused breakage on 2 rods. I didn't mean to offend you, or imply you were a Goog.

If it makes you feel any better, I had a FW St. Croix snap after I set the hook on the first fish/log I hooked. Only there was no tackle shop to bring it back to, since it was a custom rod, which SUCKED. As much as I like how SC rods feel, I stay away from them myself.

Sounds like a problem with the ferrule fit, which is why I avoid 2pc rods in the first place.

Own a couple 10ft St Croix and love em, even extended one to 11 1/2ft conventional and exceed it's rating on every cast without a problem, but none are 2pc. Did the ferrule seat fully, try to wax the ferrule sections and twist together, not push together. Shake the stick hard with no weight and listen for any clicking sound at the ferrule, if it makes any noise the fit is incorrect and will cause trouble if not properly fitted first. Have no firsthand experience with them but I know a few guys who swear by Allstar blanks when the need to go 2pcs, say the ferrule fit/finish is outstanding. I suspect that's where the problem lies, my 1pc 10 footers have been beat to death the last 3 seasons and never had a problem.

biggrin.gif

bill40 no worries no offense taken at all. i appreciate your help buddy.

both rods broke above the ferule, (the croix ferule is positioned below the first guide from the butt) it broke in between the 2 guides closest to the butt. it was the new Premier Surf Blank. rated for 4-8 oz.

The Break,,, went from guide foot to guide foot, 20-30 splits (tip to butt) all the way around the blank....

well there is good news.

picked up a Lami 1364M blank and began building it with a friends assistance last night...after putting ALOT of pressure on it i have no fear of this beef-stick lettin loose at all...