Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fisheb00

Getting the guides strait

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Mr Goldberg

Do you have any tips on how to get the guides perfectly strait on a blank? I am building a 50 lb class blank with Pac Bay BRBST heavy duty boat rod guides.

Thanks Bruce

Bruce,

Here is how I line up my guides.

When wrapping the guides, making sure you wrap them with just enough thread tension to allow you to move the guides to align them.

Make sure that the guide feet lay perfectly flat on the blank.

After wrapping on the guides, do a rough alignment by sighting down the rod from the butt end. Make sure the guides are in alignment with the spine of the blank and the reel seat.

Rotate the rod 180 degrees and sight down the rod with the guides on the bottom. Make any minor adjustments.

Mount a reel and run the line through the guides. Secure the butt of the rod in some sort of rodholder or mount it in your lathe if you have one. Hang a sinker of sufficient weight to just slightly begin loading the rod.

Now with the rod loaded and the guides on the top or 0 degree axis, check to see that the line passes through each guide in the center of the ring. It is okay if the line is touching the base of the ring. Also make sure that the guide feet are also in alignment with the blank. Now make any final adjustments.

Check the overwraps one last time and burnish out any gaps you may have created by moving the guides.

That's it. Now do your finishing.

Al G.

Mr Goldberg, Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I will build several rods over this winter and its really nice to know I have a source of quality information. I am really excited about building a few rods this winter, I am going to have a ball. Thanks again Bruce Fisher

Al, here's a trick I stumbled upon for aligning guides that's worth its weight in gold (at least to me wink.gif) ...one of those things so obvious you wonder how you missed it for so long, and I don't think I've ever seen this little gem suggested anywhere before.

For a final guide alignment, whether it's a conventional or spinning rod, install a conventional reel with matching, equal sized round sideplates - such as an Abu 5500 / 6500 - and lay the rod, reel down, on a level benchtop. You are now able to sight down the dead centerline axis of the rod, and view the guides (from the easier to see off side) in their exact relationship to the finished centerline. This little trick "indexes" the guide alignment perfectly, every time, and trues them not just to one another, but to the reel's working alignment as well.

wink.gif patent not pending wink.gif Enjoy biggrin.gif

Al. If I might add this. I took the foot plate off an old Diawa 50H and mounted a small line level on it. I install the tool into the reel seat. Now rotate the blank until the bubble is between the lines. You are at top center. Tape or rubber band the guide in place. wrap the guide. Do this for each guide. With alittle practice you can get the guides installed very accurately and just eyeball and adjust as necessary whe all guides are installed. Have fun wrapping. Capt Neil