Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonS

Long Albie-ish Rod

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I'm looking at building a rod for throwing long distances to albies and handling lighter striper lures. Lures like Stingsilvers to bombers. The blank that has my attention is the Rainshadow DR1385F. Its a steelie blank 2 pc. 11'6", 1/2 to 2-1/2 oz. I'll put something like a Tica Libra 4000 on it with 20# whiplash. Has anyone any experience with the blank?

------------------

baja55@optonline.net

You are looking at the correct type of blank for this application. Lami also makes two great blanks for this application GSH1382MH and the PSH1262MH.

Set the up with the Fuji Concept YSG single foot spinning guides and you have what I call the "reaching rod".

Al

Jon,

I built the rod a number of years ago and loaned it to BrianBM. I ended up building him one as well. He was the only one on one of the Eastern LI Sound beaches that was able to reach the albacore. Hence, "The Reaching Rod".

Al

Al, I'm finally going to build this rod probably using the GSH1382MH blank. Which guide sizes in the YSG would you reccomend? I'll be using a spinner in the 4000 size with braided line. Spacing guidelines would be great too.

Much Appreciated.

------------------

baja55@optonline.net

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 04-12-2003).]

I've had that rod for about 20 years now. Great for stripers too. Tosses a mean 2 OZ popper.

Quite a few combinations you could use. I'd use 6 guides.

40HH , 30 , 25 , 20 , 16 , 16 and a 16 tip

you could also use a 12 for the last gude and a 12 tip