Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfrat59

1st rod-cloudy finish-any help!

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

just finished wrapping my first rod-payed careful attention-black underwraps w/red and gold end checks and black overwraps. applied 2 coats of color preserver,allowed 3 hours drying time, then applied flexcoat finish.carefully measured and mixed flexcoat,spun rod approx 10 hrs,when finish dried very smooth but cloudy white! any idea what went wrong, improper mix or not enough dry time for color preserver? any quick fix?

That blows frown.gif

1. You don't need color preserver with black thread, period.

IMHO,

2. You don't really need color preserver at all redface.gif

3. If you use color preserver, you need to let it dry 12 hours.

gad

99.9% it's not enough dry time on the color preserver which is causing the clear topcoat to "blush" or take on a milky / cloudy appearance. Water based cp's can take a long while to truly and completely dry, especially in cool or humid conditions. I had a mild case of this show up on a couple of guides which had dried (in less than ideal conditions) for over 48 hours. No cure or fix I can think of other than major surgery for this one.

Color preserver may be the problem but i have seen flex coat come out milky for a couple of other reasons. Not mixed properly, and also extremely tiny air bubbles casused by mixing with certian types sticks, like popcycle sticks cause a type of airation to the epoxy and its hard to get out without heat and stiff bristle brush. If I am not mixtaken on the directions for flex coat they warn about certian mixing sticks.

Best advice I got about these finishes was from Tom kirkman who said to let it sit a full five minutes or more after mixing before using. it sounds suicidal to a beginner cause you go so slow you neede all the pot life you can get. I go pretty fats now and the 5 minutes doesn't hurt me in terms of getting the finish on before it sets up but it sure does allow a lot of bubbles to rise out and that keeps them off the threads.

I like to pour the flex coat out of the mixing cup into a thin layer on a paper plate that I cover with aluminum foil. This extends the pot life of the finish and it seems to allow the littlest bubbles the opportunity to rise and pop quickly.

I don't like color preserver either and I don't use it on any of my own rods.

Digger