Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jason B

Fluke Blank?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Al,

I'm looking to build a good fluke rod for drifting bait and the occasional bucktail. I was thinking the 195 Calstar but I never had this rod in my hands. Is this a good choice or is there a better flukeing rod you suggest. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Jason B

Jason - where do you usually fish? How deep is the water, how many oz. is normally used to hold bottom? What type of line will you use.

There are a ton of blanks you can choose from, but it depends on what type of fishing you'll be doing. Fishing 1/2oz. bucktails in Shinnecock will require a different rod than fishing for monsters on the North Shore with 10+oz. to hold bottom.

Billy

Billy has asked the appropriate questions. Now when we hear the answers from Jason we can come up with the selection of blanks.

Here are a few more questions to answer:

Will you be fishing from a party boat or private boat mostly?

What type of reel, line and line test will you be using?

How tall are you?

Talk to you later.

Al

Sorry Billy and Al,

Didn't intentionally mean to be vague, just new to east coast fishing. Currently living in San Fran and will be moving to DC in a couple of weeks. My brother has a boat in Cape May New Jersey and will be fishing with him a lot. Although he has a great set of tuna equipement, his fluke stuff always seems as an add on. I don't know fluking much, other than I really enjoy it and will be spending a lot of time doing it. I'm thinking either a 930 or 955. I currently have my surf 6500, 525mag and a 975 but they seemed a little big.? I also want to get a reel strickly for fluke and I'm thinking 12-15#. The water was pretty shallow most of the time below 30', although we did hit a place called anchorage that was great but around 100'..If I can remember right. I know this sounds like a couple different rod fluking area, but I have the time to build one last rod before I move. I have a couple of Calstar tuna rods which are great so I'm leaning towards them, but fluking ain't done in Calstar country so I may be way off. If your familiar with the area I will be fishing, I would really appreciate a good first fluke rod blank suggestion.

Thanks

Jason B

Jason,

That's all the info I needed. Since you like Calstar I would go for a Calstar GF600XL or GF700XL and match it with either a Penn 965, Calcutta 400 or Catala 300. Spool them up with 30# power Pro and you are set.

Al

P.S. Go to www.screamingreel.com and go into my Board "Al Goldberg's Tackle Corner" and seach the articles. I did a 4 part article on building a fluke rod. Everything you need to know is there. Have Fun.

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 06-19-2001).]